Original 1989 MKII Digifant wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by rdf1988, May 2, 2015.

1. rdf1988 Forum Member

As title, but it would be a bonus if you had a pic. Mine came with 6N wheels which don't do the MKII no justice - particularly as they are the mostly badly scuffed wheels I have ever had. [:s]

Thanks all!

2. SimonG Forum Member

Depends on the option selected. 89 models will have had 14" steels with black hub caps (earlier version with lots of circle holes, not the later with less oval holes). There were options and accessory wheels available. The options code sticker might help with identifying what was original, in the service book and inside the boot.

I know the Silverstone 14 inch was an option aka Teardrops, some 14/15 inch BBS, but there was other period wheels from the same era available.

rdf1988 likes this.
  3. 8bitAl Forum Member

My small bumper came with 14" BBS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What they look like (clean) on my car. lol

[​IMG]

They originally had black edges to the spokes but the previous owner had them refurbed all silver which I quite like.

Alex. :)

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

14" BBS will have come from the options catalogue, no way to know if they were specified by the original owner (unless you have all the original documentation) or if they were bought separately from the dealer or from somewhere else even.

as said to know what the car had originally check the boot sticker it'll say in there. my 90spec GTI had teardrops originally :)

5. mickey marrows Forum Member

My 1990 digi 8v came with 14" steels

6. 8bitAl Forum Member

Right, decoded my sticker. Your right RJ it came with steel wheels as standard.

I'd hazard a guess that the current BBS were added at purchase or not long after purchasing the car, perhaps from the dealer but I can't confirm this. I will be rooting through my paperwork tonight, though.

I've known this car a long time, nearly 15 years, it's been owned by two friends and previous to that was a lady owner from new. The car came with these wheels from said lady.

Alex. :)

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Aye if it has steels listed on the boot sticker then there is a good chance the BBS were specified by the original owner, the factory will deliver the car with the cheapest wheels possible i.e. steels, then the dealer swaps on your BBS wheels :)