Our new springs are effing solid

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Keith's Dad!, May 26, 2005.

1. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

Just picked up our new coils from Faulkner today. I stood on one of the rear coils and IT DID NOT MOVE! I hope all the experts are right about these springs because they are gona be solid!

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Sounds very promising

I know mines set up hard, but my springs will move under my weight [:s] :lol:

3. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

How much is your M2 engine? My other son has a Driver which needs one. His car is still going but it's engine is at the end of it's life. I think he would be very interested providing it was within his limited budget.

4. Unknown Forum Junkie

Crikey! Do you trailer it to races or are you going to need a day off
    work just to get over driving it on our excellent roads :lol:

5. Mine are 'only' 400's on the back and i couldn't move those either, but their great on track, if a bit bouncy on the road. :lol:
    It makes a big difference adjusting the dampers on mine thou, i turn them down for the drive home for a bit more compliance, but then the car does become a bit bouncy as the damper struggles to contain the spring, but once on track with the dampers turned up to about 3/4 it copes fine with the spring weight and actually gives a decently controlled if a little hard ride. ;)

6. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

We use a trailer. In Stock Hatch there is a good chance it will not be driveable after the race! It was hard enough to drive on the road before the hard springs, I think road use is now a thing of the past.

7. Keith R Forum Member

Good thing is, we've booked a test day at Brands Hatch a day before the race, which I didn't know you could do[:D]! We were going to go to Bruntingthorpe, but because I've never been there, I wouldn't really be able to make an effective comparison on the new setup. This way, I'll be able to see the difference on corners I know it struggled on.

We can still play around with damper rates and tyre pressures, so we should be able to get it just right in timefor the race.

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

good luck! :thumbup:

i cant wait to just start doing track days,never mind competing! :clap:

neil.

9. Keith R Forum Member

Is that Mk1 in your sig gonna be your track car? Looks well tidy! Wish I was able to put wheels like that on mine!

10. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

yep,its currently a bare shell awaiting seam welding etc [:D]

neil.

11. Keith R Forum Member

Nice!![:D]

You're gonna have fun! I'm not allowed to seam weld mine, but the roll cage provides extra rigidity I suppose.

What lump are you going to be running?

12. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

hopefully a high revving 2.1 16v on 45's,always wanted to build my own engine [:D]

are you running coilover suspension m8?
    i dont really know much about the rules and regs.

neil. :)

13. Keith R Forum Member

Yeah. We should be getting them back today so I'll post some pics of them.

The fact you're building your own enginewill give you a greater sense of satisfaction. Sounds like it'll be a real fire breather! I definately prefer N/a to forced induction;)for the track.

If your Mk1 goes as good as it looks, you've got no problem.

14. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

yeah pics would be cool m8 :clap:

and cheers,the mk1 went alright before,was easily quicker than the rado!

just got a bit too much for road use,plus people were damaging it [:x]

neil.

15. Keith R Forum Member

Pics as promised.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ride height is now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It does look the part, but as the title of this thread says, it's effin hard!The car will now be less forgiving handling wise.There's virtually no 'droop' on the rear when it's jacked up, so I'm sure the rear inside wheel will regularly be off the ground going round fast corners, and be prone to kerb hopping. It's the way most people, including AW Tracksport, have told us to go. I just hope it works!

We do need to raise the ride height slightly as we're now lower than the permitted 75mm in a few areas, namely the front roll bar joints and the seam on the wishbone mounting point. The front spoiler is also too low, but we have a slimmer onewe canput on.

Some reassurance would be welcome[:D]

16. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

as long as you have the stickers level the car will handle on rails ;)

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Let's hope the new kit gives you the balance you're after Keith, best of luck for next time. :)

18. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

bloody hell,sits well dont it! :clap: [:D]
    but are they not standard struts? [:$]
    the springs look mad! harly any coils to em!

will it have become more skittish in the wet now?

suppose you can play with the roll bar/remove for the wet? [:s]

neil.

19. Keith R Forum Member

In the wet, I imagine it will be awful! We're keeping the old springs as our wet setup. It all depends on this test day really. At the moment, I have absolutely no idea whether we've made a better handling car or a worse handling car for the dry, let alone the wet. Suffice to say, on the UK roads, it's now utterly dangerous. All it would take is the smallest of bumps at a reasonable speed to make the back end completely loose contact with the road!

The struts are Koni, so not the factory ones. We cannot disconnect the roll bar. The rules say it must remain connected and unmodified.

The test day isn't until the 18th, a day before the race! I really don't want to wait that long to find out what it's like. All I need is a reasonable expanse of smoothtarmac just to get a feel, but where is the question? Any ideas? Trackdays are no good as I've already paid 135 for a morning's testing, and they're all on a weekday.

20. Keith R Forum Member

Cheers for the stickers Andy! I'll put 1 on each side rear window I think.

So what's your opinion on the new setup? Firm is an understatement! I nearly ruptured my spleen just putting it on the driveway!:lol:

It did feel a lottighter and more positivewhen I went down the road. I weaved a bit and there was hardly any body roll.