Out of date timing belt.

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Rustbuster, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Got an original VW timing belt for my KR Eng 16v. Bought it ages ago but didn’t realise they have a sell by date. Expiration was 02/2013 so it’s 10 years out. It’s been kept in the house, in the dark in original packaging so I’m toying with fitting it. If it was anything else but genuine VW I’d bin it but they’re no longer available from VW so I’m finding it really tough to bin it and move on. Should I sling it or do the deed and fit it??? Just that I LOVE original stuff.

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Personally I'd always have a nagging doubt, even it weren't justified. Would ruin my enjoyment of the car.

Imagine how you'd feel if it did give up on you!

Stick it in the boot with your original tool kit and some other NOS service parts, if you do shows you'll get some alternate use / enjoyment out of it.

Rustbuster likes this.
  3. Rustbuster

Zender, thank you. You are of course absolutely spot-on. When the job’s done and I’m putting away the tools I should feel pleased and be patting myself on the back but I wouldn’t be. You’re bang on with the nagging doubt, it would always be in the back of my mind, be like a job half done. I’ll get a new Gates one as that’s what the genuine one is. Thanks again for your clarity of thought and objectivety. :thumbup:

Cressa likes this.
  4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Bin it, not even worth considering for the sake of 20 quid versus a new engine.

Rustbuster likes this.
  5. Rustbuster

Yes, you’re both spot on, put that way it is a no brainier.

6. blu-tak Forum Member

Is the engine clearance if the belt breaks?

What does the belt look like, if it looks perfect why not.
    It's all about whether it's crazed or has micro cracks or not.

7. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Would you put 10 year old tyres on your car that had been sitting in storage?

8. Rustbuster

To the naked eye it looks perfect. It’s just interesting, I ordered a new one this morning from eBay, I asked the supplier what the use by date is for the one they’re suppling and they replied “eh”?
    Be ironic if the one they supply is even older? I’ll look closely for a date on it (or removal of such) when it arrives. I’ll post findings. May even phone the parts guys at my local VW dealership and see what they say about the date cos they’ve put a part number sticker over the dated use by sticker so the date isn’t at all obvious. All a can of worms really, if it was a year or two past the date I’d be ok but it’s 10 years out so that’s pushing it. Thanks again for your thoughts.

9. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

You're right, It is an interesting subject specially for classic car owners.

I can see why NOS stuff appeals and that there's probably lots of different reasons for that

Some likely want the originality or as is increasingly the case for me, it can quite often turn out to be just they're a better quality / fitting item than latter day remanufactured or replacement items.

Good comparison by Phil with tyres.

Might no longer be the case since we left the EU, but if not it was previously legitimate to class / sell an unused tyre as 'new' right up to it being 5 years old if it could be shown to have been stored correctly.

While I don't believe there's set ages that tyres are no longer legal and can't be used, general advice seems to be that at 10 years from date of manufacture they've reached the end of life and you should consider replacement.

Always check the date it was made on a new tyre, getting sold a 5 year old 'new' one potentially chops it's recommended time in use in half.

10. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Bin it or put in a frame for display is my view. Although on my mk3 16v, an engine I understand to be picky on timing belts, was still wearing it's original belt and tensioner at 27 years old and 78k and it looked fine.

11. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Granted I am on the nay sayer's side of this but if that belt has been stored properly (no UV exposure, no exposure to excessive heat/cold/damp etc.) and there is no sign of cracks, brittleness and all that, then I would have no hesitation in putting it on. In fairness I'm on the OCD side at the best of times but the thought of not using that genuine belt is making me come out in hives.

12. daNpy Forum Member

Interesting case.
    I would say no at first instance, but on the other hand, are tires on your car(s) less than 10 years old?
    Especially with summer & wintersets, or oldtimers which aren't about much, the tires are used longer.

Also, I've still got the Toyo R888s I bought in June '12. I've had them on the car for trackdays between 2012 until end 2015. So that's four years with approx 3 trackdays (or more...) per year. They are used, but not completely off. They were stored in a dark and cold environment.
    I did order new Nankangs AR1's last year, which should be just as good as the R888Rs (newer version of R888).
    I drove on a trackday with the Toyo's in the morning and the Nankangs in the afternoon.... and the 10 year old, hard, worn Toyo's were 2 seconds!!! faster than the brand new Nankangs. That's not something I expected to be honest [:D]

So would it hurt to put the 10 year old belt on? Probably not. Do you want to find out? No :)

13. costel1969

I would
    I would risk it for a biscuit myself but that's just me......will just pop the old disclaimer in here in case a valver decides to eat itself.:thumbup:

The opinion provided by yours truly is for general informational only. Yours truly makes no representation or warranty, express or implied. Use of any such information is solely at your own risk.

daNpy likes this.
  14. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

On a clearance engine I would put it on but a 16v interference engine no way.

daNpy likes this.
  15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Volkswagen does not make belts. They are outsourced to OEMs like Gates and Continental.

OEMs have their own retail outlets to sell their own brand without the OEs IP.

Just use a Gates or Continental cam belt and drive belts and it will be fine for 1000s of miles, till the next change interval.

KeithMac and Tristan like this.
  16. blu-tak Forum Member

The point I'm making is I would judge something on visual condition and feel. As opposed to a sticker.
    I would put 10 year old tyres on, if they are of a good quality, and have been kept out of UV light, and both look and feel good (& hold air)

To see a photo of this belt next to a new belt and then play guess which is which would be a fun thing to do!

17. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I wouldn't take the chance.

Ozone in the atmosphere harms rubber and plastic. Harm that isn't always visible on the outside.

If it was a non safety, non damage causing item if it failed , like a door seal, or bump stop, steering gaiter , I'd try it .

But a tire? Or a timing belt? For 20 quid? Not a chance.

Ask yourself the question, if I offer you 2 identical or equivalent items, one 10 years old, one made recently, would you choose the old one over the new?

And as Ed said, it's not like VW make them themselves.
    I fit timing belts almost every week, on everything from diesel vans , to priceless classics, and racing engines.
    And I'd never look for an OEM belt, always Gates, Contitech , Dayco or similar premium brand.

The only exception would be on something pretty new, with a known troublesome waterpump driven by the belt. Like the new gen Euro 5/6 emissions driven engines.

blu-tak, Toyotec and MJA like this.
  18. blu-tak Forum Member

You got a reference or web link to support that?

19. costel1969

20. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Jesus, can't believe this thread is so long.

10 yrs is way too long on such a vital component, end of chat.