P0571 / 16955 fault code on MK4 2.0 GTi

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by lloyd1972, Sep 7, 2014.

1. lloyd1972 New Member

This is my first post so please be gentle with me.... :)

My MK4 GTi has thrown up the EPC light and I have got the following info by reading the fault code: 6955 - brake switch f implausible signal - P0571.

I have checked a number of posts and most relate to this fault on a diesel car where the glow plug light comes on and you have no brake lights, mine is the 2.0 115bhp petrol engine and ALL my brake lights are working fine (including the centre one), I have not changed any bulbs recently so cannot put it down to that either, I have removed the brake light switch and refitted it as per the instructions and it seems to be working fine (the brake lights come on and off as required when brake pedal is pressed).

Just wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction as I have tried clearing the code and it stays off until you take the car out for a drive - then it comes on after about 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks all.

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aye I get that when my TDI it has two tail lights out
    Are you sure the brake switch is OK

As it is a fairly common problem

The switch is for the lights and ECU
    One or other can go

When the one on my 4motion went it was the brake light's stuck on

3. lloyd1972 New Member

Thanks for your reply, yes all the brake lights are working ok and are not stuck on at all.

The switch seems to be working OK, I wonder if it is something else or whether there is an internal issue with the switch.

All the posts I have read all seem to refer to the diesel engine MK4, mine is a petrol.

Any idea what to check next or just replace the brake switch anyway??

4. MUSHY 16V

I'd change the switch just to rule it out
    It's not that expensive think I was 16 to 20
    You get two types as well check the plug to see how many pins it has
    In case they ask

And watch when fitting the new one they are easy broken
    Check how to fit it on line first

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  5. deffinatly the brake light switch, the switch itself is actually 2 switches, 1 half the switch controls the brake lights, the other side tells the ecu when you are braking. it is quite common to see only half the switch to fail, it may still operate the brake lights but wont speak to the ecu or vice a versa

6. lloyd1972 New Member

Thanks for your help, I have checked and I have the 4 pin version on my car.

Am I better getting one from VW to replace it or would I be safe with a non-VW switch??

7. lloyd1972 New Member

Thanks for explaining that, I will get a new brake light switch and give that a try.

Fitting it was not too bad as long as you follow the instructions (I can see how they get broken though).

8. MUSHY 16V

aye people press the pedal by mistake when fitting and it breaks something off inside when you twist it into place easy done

mines was the 4 pin one green if i rember right old one was black
    the plunger on the new one looked a lot more sturdy