Passat 2.0 TDI Misfire @ 3-4k rpm?

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by Willber, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Willber Forum Member

Hi Guys,

I have a 2006 Passat 2.0 TDI with the PD type engine not the later CR.

Last night I noticed that it has a misfire/stuttering when accelerating a full throttle between 3-4k rpm (giving it the beans basically!) It will also do it on part throttle in the same rev range but obviously not as noticeable.

Is this a common problem due to failure of something? Don't have time to get it into garage at the minute so can't run Vag-Com.

Cheers for any help.

Will

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

MAF sensor? I know earlier VAG tdi's are forever suffering with hesitation/poor power etc that can all be attributed to the MAF going belly up...

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

could be a few things, try running a load of millers injector cleaner though it,

also what fuels it running on? when mines on cheapo asda fuel it some times has a part throttle wobble but clears when booted... so it could be a fuel issue.

also when was it servced? all gen parts used? could eb a blocked fuel filter or air filter :thumbup:

edit - as chris says could be maf, try un plugging it and see how it runs (it may go in to limp, or may not)

4. Willber Forum Member

I have used Millers in the past and found it to not really do anything, but I filled up last night so I will get a bottle and see if it helps.

I always run it on standard diesel from BP/Shell/Esso. Never fill up at supermarkets.

It was serviced 5k ago, not sure the fuel filter has been changed though.

I will try the MAF trick and see what happens, if not I think I will have to wait until I get chance to drop it in at the garage as the suspension is making a bit of a clunk and sounds like wheel bearing is whirring away again, although it's had 2 new front ones.

I did read somewhere that the rear bushes on the Estate B6 passat can fail and cause it to sound like a wheel bearing, not sure how true this is though.

Thanks for your help.

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

3C's don't have issue with MAFs, whole new ball game with later gen managment systems [:s]

change the fuel filter, you'll find it's black - should be done every 60K but I'd advise every 30-40K
    careful prising up the lid of the filter casing (do it at front in the notch), and lube up the new seal
    seen many leak without resason!

well I've not come across any dodgy bushes causing a bearing noise, I have found loads with a little play on the lower arm, not normally major issues

I have came across many tyre on those that have a saw tooth effect on the inner of the tyre which sound like a bearing. Run your hand over the inner edge, uneven like a saw ;)

6. Willber Forum Member

MOT stated slight play on lower suspension arm, so this is probably making the noise?

7. oak8vgti Forum Member

more than likely it will be saw tooth tyre wear as above

chrispy, all fuel filters are now 40k as per vw guidelines

8. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Cheers Chris, No one had told us yet - typical difference in a 'old' 40K & Major service is the time you get for them! :lol:

I do advise mates / my mk5 every 30K - well you know why matey ;)

9. oak8vgti Forum Member

yep 40k back is to the normal service routine :lol: didnt think it would have taken this long till they changed it all haha

10. Willber Forum Member

What would cause the saw tooth effect on the tyre though? It never did it before when I had my old tyres on. Will the play in the suspension cause it?

Also theres a particular rut in the road on the estate at work and whenever I go over this and then brake whilst doing it or shortly after, I can feel a lot of vibration through the brake pedal as though it is 'twanging' something. Very odd and not had it before in any other car.

Thanks for your help guys.

11. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I'm not 100% sure but always found them on the none driven wheels, when the tyres have a wide block effect in the pattern and on the inner edge.

as the trye gets grip, and bounces back up it's then wearing on every other block and the effect seem to of amplifed!!

best thing to do rather than buying new tyres (unless realy worn) swap front to rear it will even out

12. Willber Forum Member

It's had new front tyres in the last 2k, and all 4 are matching ones. The front ones were swapped onto the back and the two new ones put on the front. Don't know what this will affect?

13. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

front wheels do the pulling of car using the full radius of the tyre
    you put on set of bridgestones?

I've not came across this often in past, but more so on 1K/3C chassis based which by design the back end does do a lot to improve chassis handling

out of intrest : what sort of driving have you done in past 2K around town/motorway %'s

14. Willber Forum Member

The tyres are Maxxis MA71's which I have found to be very good.

I have drive 20 miles to work and 20 miles back every day which is mix of A road and country road. I have also done motorway miles to london and back, preston and back, so a good mix really I would say.

I thought it was wheel bearings when it did it before and I had them both replaced which seemed to cure it for a bit but now the noise is back.

Maybe the bearing is faulty or the slight play in suspension is causing it to wear super quick for some reason??

No idea really I guess will have to wait until end of November and then I will get car into garage for a full check over and alignment.

15. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

TBH do the alignment, 65 at a main dealer for all 4 wheels, which is a bargain as I do at least 2 a week and at 85 hour labour rate, which it takes 2 hrs - but a fixed rate of 65 for whole job, you do the math!!

you'll find the rear end is out

ask them for the printout of the screens before AND after, for you benefit

16. Willber Forum Member

Cheers Crispy I shall do just that once I get chance, hopefully it will cure the problem.

17. Willber Forum Member

Bit of an update:

Car has been to the garage; they cleaned the fuel filter out and added some fuel additive/injector cleaner. Gave it an oil service and whatnot as usual. The noise is due to the tyres being stored funny he reckons, and they are an odd shape. All tyres worn the same with a saw tooth edge!! Seems I will need to get some different tyres once these have run down - no biggie.

However, the misfire/jerking is still there. It will do it at part throttle when letting the engine go up the revs in 3rd for example when re-joining the motorway last night. i.e. part throttle in 3rd revving up to 3-4k, change into 4th and everything is fine until I give it full throttle and it jerks again. Doesn't do it all the time, but 9 times out of ten it will. Very odd, I will keep running injector cleaner through it and will fill up using some better diesel next time to see if it clears.

Any ideas?

Thanks

18. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Think like most modern VAG's theres no point guessing. It will need to be scanned. Recently scanned a mates Touran 2.0 TDI, as he has high fuel consumption. Had codes refering to EGR valve which i expect is clogged up. The EGR/inlet usually cause problems on diesels but i'm not too clued up on them. He took off the EGR and it was clogged and the flap was seized but i think some damage was done to it in the process. The inlet is probably coked up too.

Interesting that fuel filter is mentioned. This car has probably only had the one filter change in 100k so far.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  19. Willber Forum Member

I will disconnect the MAF and also have a look at the egr and inlet - recenty blanked an egr off on a Discovery and couldnt believe how much crap there was in there and the inlet!

Will report findings :thumbup:

20. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

apart from tshirt2k I'm surprised nobody has said to get the codes read!

My BM was down on power and fuel consumption was bad turned out to be cam sensor and lambda sensor