Passat Estate....info needed

Discussion in 'Passat' started by Kitsune, May 25, 2008.

1. Kitsune Forum Member

Hey guys,

My other half is looking at getting an estate to lug horse bits and dogs about. I'm thinking a Passat would do the job nicely but just want some info on the car. I'm looking at about a 2002 model and probably the derv because of her 70 mile daily round trip to work.

So questions. What is the car like in general? Reliability, MPG, any issues to look out for etc?

Budget dictates the 1.9 TDi over the 2.5 V6, but I see there are various models, TDi S, SE, Highline, Trendline, 110 and 130 models. What are the differences and how can you tell between a 110 and a 130? I've had a nosey on the compucars website which gives the passat a thumbs up but not enough detail for spec.

Anything else I should know before I start pushing Passat for sale ads under her nose?

Cheers.

2. rocco Forum Member

The wife has a '52 Passat 130 SE Estate on 60k, we have had it for 2 years and it's been as good as gold. Last year it had a big service with cambelt, air con, brake fluid, water pump which cost 1k though VW, VW advises 40k or 4 yrs on cambelts now. It came with tints (for the kids), cruise, heated seats, 6 disc in dash, steering wheel controls, sunroof, climate, ESP, etc, etc. Although it's just had this years service and MOT for 150

In 2002 the range started with the S, then SE, then Sport and Highline (I believe, if you can find one !). The S didn't have alloys, the Sport was 12 mm lower and had 6 speed, amongst other bits and the Highline had leather and colour coded exterior bits. although they all get a bit mixed up by way of the options list. I drove a few 110's and the 130 is noticably quicker and quite surprising. Also handles pretty well. The tank shows approx 550 miles when full and costs approx 55 from near the red, I've often seen 58mpg on the computer, on a run, but it gets more expensive around town, but still not bad.

The v6 is 170 bhp, but the 130 can easily be chipped ! I've got the 2002 / 2003 brouchure if you need any more info. Also try the Passatuk website, for owners club.

3. Kitsune Forum Member

Nice one, cheers mate. Just had a little nosey on the forum but will register later. Glad you mentioned the cambelt as the bit I read said it was 60k.

Is there an easy way of telling the 110 from the 130? Apart from the 130 being faster!

Sounds like you get quite a reasonable spec for your money. Talking to the missus last night she thinks about 5k is her budget but wants a fairly low mileage model. Most of the B5.5s I saw on Autotrader/PH were over 120k easily. What did you pay for yours as that seems to be the mileage she'd be more happy with?

4. rocco Forum Member

Glad it helped. The only ways you can be certain that it's a 130, is the log book and engine number. Passat Uk may be able to help with the latter.

We paid 9k for ours 2 yrs ago, they dropped off slightly due to the B7, but it was a good price at the time from a dealer.

Good hunting