Pb 8v oil quantities with cooler and baffles

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Alex12345, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Alex12345 Forum Member

Ok hoping someone can help, I've built a pb 8v in my race car, the engines std spec, has a heavily baffled sump,16 row oil cooler and mocal sandwich plate, it has the water cooled vw oil cooler removed, it runs a std genuine vw oil filter. My problem is when I empty the oil, change filter and drain oil cooler I seem to only be able to get 3.3 litres of oil in before it shows full on the stick, I've left it to stand and dipped it too. I didn't know wether to just put the 4.3 recc amount in and sod the dipstick or fill it to the level . Any suggestions welcome.

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

3. Alex12345 Forum Member

Yep absolutely , it's had a new one from heritage, I did wonder about getting a new dipstick, just for reference. Any chance someone could accurately measure a dipstick for me ?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  4. jamesa Forum Junkie

Is the car inclined when you drain the oil ?

5. Alex12345 Forum Member

Do you mean to empty any out from behind sump baffles ?

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I measure 390mm from the surface that sits on top of the guide tube to the max mark at the top of the hatched area. Pics in a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    Alex12345 likes this.
  7. jamesa Forum Junkie

Yes, I have run a similar PB set up and as with all home oil changes I place the car on front ramps to drain the maximum possible.

My set up was in a Mk1 GTI with the standard oil / air cooler, I recall oil and filter changes being ~ 4.0 litres.

8. Alex12345 Forum Member

Yep I have 390 too, just checked the orange guide at the top of the tube, the one currently fitted is 70mm.

9. Alex12345 Forum Member

yep I thought 4 litres would be right, just worried me on the stick, is it necessary to empty the oil cooler as such or just get it stinking hot and raise the front to a good level ?. I'm worried as I'm going to donnington next week for a bit of a shakedown and didn't want to risk a blow up first time out with only 3.2 in.

10. jamesa Forum Junkie

The optimum oil level is at minimum I was told but never did try it !

Not really sure what you should do apart from maintain the correct dipstick level ...

Probably a `quirk` of the installation and size of oil cooler preventing a full drain ... ?

A previous Mk2 9A I ran ... with a 13 row air / oil cooler in place of the water jacket cooler, usual dipstick level and 4.0 litre changes.