Pedal Box Conversation.

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Djslater81, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Djslater81

Djslater81 Forum Member

Hi all,

I’m considering doing an upgrade on my mk2 for the pedal controls but I am in total darkness as to what to expect.

Basically I’m planning on keeping the car looking standard but with a view to doing an engine swap in the upcoming years when I finally decided what powerhouse I want to shoehorn in.

I was considering racing pedal setup but thought I would ask here first as a majority of you guys will know what’s good.

Currently the car is pretty much standard, 1.6 ez engine with a Weber 32/34 Dmtl carb bolted on.

I am planning on either doing one of the two things.

Rebuild the existing engine and just upgrade parts for longevity

Or

The classic VR6 engine swap or 1.8t Bam engine
    (Leaning more towards the BAM)

Obviously this is a gradual process so I would rather get bits done when I can afford them to the run up for the engine transplant.

So any advice is greatly welcomed and appreciated.

2. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

I once converted a nice 3 door to run the VR6 and it was really fun!
    I now have a nice 3 door converted to Tdi running at 185bhp and it's torquey as hell!

I prefer the Tdi as it packs a lot of punch so I'd say sway towards the BAM and enjoy the power it will kick out.

Rich.

3. Djslater81

Djslater81 Forum Member

Thanks for the info
    I am thinking more towards the BAM engine swap but do love the sound and power a VR6 kicks out.
    I just read my first post and noticed that I wasn’t really clear with my actual question.

Basically the car is a running project and I am working towards eventually putting a bigger lump in the car.
    What I am doing is bits and pieces first in the run up to when I decide what powerhouse I want to put in and find a suitable engine and rebuild it.

One of the things I want to do is the pedal box setup, I’m in two minds wether to have a racing pedal setup or leave the original pedal box’s
    What are the pros and cons with each.

Thing is I’m pretty clueless in this particular area so any advice on this will be welcomed

4. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

I have no experience with the racing pedal setup but I have the hydro clutch in mind and it's loads nicer on a daily basis.

Hopefully someone else has some more advice :thumbup:

What I was saying is that I prefer the turbo in a MK2 so I'd go for the bam all day long