Petrol in the oil

Discussion in '8-valve' started by natureboy, Feb 11, 2012.

1. natureboy New Member

Hello I have just joined the forum but have been reading for quite a while and have a problem with my car.

The car is a 1989 golf gti 8v digi. It has been smoking quite bad for a while now all the time but today when I checked the oil it was very high and smelt of petrol and I cant work out what has caused this any help would be very appreciated.

Just to add the when turning the ignition on the car primes for about 2 seconds so I dont think it is the ECU but I am not 100% sure.

2. tones61

tones61 Forum Member

too rich and worn rings,[:^(]

3. danster Forum Addict

Could just be a duff temp sensor causing the ECU to think the engine is cold and overfuel and bore wash it.
    Temp sensor is a common fault on the Digifants. Might be worth checking this out then give the engine an oil change as the existing oil will be diluted with petrol making it thinner and more likely to burn more. Vicious circle sort of thing.

4. Marty's Dub Forum Member

The 2 second prime you refer to is normal!

5. natureboy New Member

I have flushed the engine and put new oil and filter but even with the fresh oil at the correct level it smokes I will try changing the sensor.

thanks everyone for the reply's.