Pick holes in my idea please

Discussion in 'Security' started by gtijon, Jul 11, 2006.

1. gtijon Forum Member

I'm thinking of doing the following to my MK2's door locks:

1) Delocking and Remote central locking

2) Modifying or replacing the door pins so that they can't be pulled up with a coathanger, or removing all mechanical coupling with the lock (ie, you'd have a standard doorpin operating a switch, and the switch would be ignored if the car had been locked from outside, so you still couldn't open the door by smashing a window or levering the top of the door open).

3) Wire a microswitch to the door handle to pop the door pins back up when you pull it, with the signal from the microswitch to be ignored when the doors have been remotely locked

4) Box in the locks and control rods for the door pins, and put some plate on the door interior to stop screwdrivering and general meddling with the lock mechanisms via the window seal.

Currently I'm thinking of fitting something like a Cult Society style tailgate plinth to allow me to get access to the car via the boot in the event of battery failure, without it being overly obvious (any way to strengthen this lock?). I suppose I could go for complete de-locking, but I'd need a lithium battery powering the locking system + alarm as a backup.

What do you lot reckon? Especially those of you who've lost your keys :).

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

Add a second place where you can connect to your battery electrics in case your battery dies, maybe at the front down low so as you could just pull it down & attach some leads thus enabling you to get into the car.

3. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Can you lock doors from inside ? for driving through the shady parts of your town.
    In event of an accident can doors be opened easily either inside or outside?.
    Just a few thoughts.

4. pwoiks Forum Member

im sure i hear somewhere that topass mot it requires the car to opend from outside in event of an emergancy

5. MR_TOAD_INSTALL Banned

Correct !!!!!

But TVR's Have no handles so there are loop holes

still glass goes through very easy ?

Ian

6. pwoiks Forum Member

stick a tvr badge on the front and tell him its a new model tvr or old. dependin on condish of car :)

7. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

tvrs have buttons under the wing mirrors tho

8. gtijon Forum Member

You'd still be able to open the car from the outside if the door's unlocked. If the door was locked from the inside, you'd be able to open it using the handle on the inside (a bit similar to locking and unlocking a ford). The idea is to make it work similarly to a deadlocking system in a modern car.

And yes, you'd be able to lock it from the inside. It could all be sorted with some logic gates or a PIC.

What I'm more wondering about is if anyone can see a crafty way of getting the door open. No point doing it all if there's a stupid loophole.

9. gtijon Forum Member

By the way, MOT regs on doors are here:

Mot regs

But as I said before, I want to be able to get out in the event of a crash [:s]

10. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

just don't crash?? [:[]

11. 88Clipper Forum Member

GTIJohn,

Have i read that right on the link? You can fill and smooth off the passenger door lock and handle and it will still pass [:s]

12. nme motorsport Forum Member

i did this and it failed as there was no means to open from the outside so i had to undew all my efforts with a chisel and refit the handle