Pierburg 2e2 cold start sequence?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by herrnuki, Jan 25, 2014.

1. herrnuki New Member

Hello this is cold start video of my golf mk2 with fully rebuilt pierburg 2e2.
    I would like to get confirmation of startup process from someone who maybe knows better then I do.
    Car is working perfectly but I would like it to be just like factory intended it to be so that is why I opened this thread.
    [video=youtube;q49Qs0hNB3A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q49Qs0hNB3A[/video]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

cant see video at work but the correct process is you crank it over, car fires and revs high around 2krpm for a bit then it should settle down to idle speed and stay there no matter what. the time it takes the idle to fall varys depending on the temperature

3. WillG

WillG Forum Member

^ Pretty much what happens in the video. Takes about 15 seconds to come down from 2k rpm to 1k rpm.

4. Collie Forum Junkie

mine doesnt do this funnily enough i am looking into why and this will help me so i know when i sort it.

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Mine's like this:

After the first few seconds of TTV/3-point unit interaction, revs drop from 2k down to about 1500rpm, (or less depending on ambient temperature).

If it's cold enough to be about 15/1600rpm at this point, it always drops more gradually down to a 950-ish final idle speed, over a couple of minutes or more. This makes sense to me as the idle during this phase is controlled by waxstat pin length and warm-up-cam shape . The waxstat's wax can only melt as the coolant warms up, and this takes time.

At the end of the day, if it starts well, runs well through warm-up and doesn't drink loads of petrol, it really doesn't matter.

There was a guy on ebay who refurbished these carbs (BromyardVW or something like that), and I think he used to be a VW tech from the 2e2 era. His ads used to contain a description of normal operation that was a lot like what mine does. If you can be bothered (more than me) to search my posts from way back in 2007/8-ish, I'm sure I quoted his description somewhere.

6. herrnuki New Member

yes then it is working as it should it revs to 2k and depending on the temperature stays at that revs for 2-20sec and then drops to 1100-1200rpm and in the next few minutes it drops to idle (1000 rpm)
    I'm glad to hear that I have done it right :)

7. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

It's difficult to know how long these things should take. Because my auto choke is buggered, I've taken it off so the choke flap is fully open all the time. This makes starting it up on a cold morning, "interesting". When I get it going (which involves keeping the go pedal down for a few minutes), the revs sit at around 2K for 10 minutes before dropping to a rather lumpy 500! It also runs on for ages when I turn it off. I've bought myself a decent vacuum pump now so I can play around with it on the kitchen table and see what's going on. I suspect the inlet manifold 'o' ring is just one aspect.

Btw, this is from a rebuilt/refurbed 2e2. Unfortunately, new choke assemblies and waxstats don't come as part of the kit!