Pierburg 2E2 woes with pics..

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Cooper_si, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Cooper_si Forum Member

heres a wierd one for ya. The car cuts out when trying to rev/hold. If i blip the throttle then its ok (but not ideal for driving) but if i try and drive thru the gears,or if im stationary nah its not having it just cuts out :( Any ideas now what i need to do ?

P.S. i cleaned off the top of the carb the other day, and it drove ok on two occasions today...

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Si, I can only imagine that you have some stuff in your float chamber that isn't petrol i.e. particles of debris that are clogging your jets. If I were you I'd spend a little cash on a main gasket (GSF's 18151 is described as for a 2E3, but the gasket is the same, and the cheapest source I know of @ 7 or 8 pounds IIRC, including various other bits you probably won't need/want).

Unless VW will sell you just the gasket?? Not tried.

Then you can take the top half of the carb off and have a good look around inside. You could take a chance on being able to re-use the existing gasket, but I wouldn't, personally.

Or... give up in disgust and get a Weber :o

:lol:

3. Cooper_si Forum Member

OMG did you just say weber!!! ha ha. Nah im not giving up at all. It was very embarrasing to drive, but when i came to move it again, it cleared itself. The timing was shot so thats not helping, but despite timing it up correctly, and putting the leads on right (you wouldnt believe how bodged up this car is) its still not right. I mite just take it to a garage now....which would be a first in 12 years !

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

try spraying half a can o carb cleaner actually down the choke flap while the car is running, keep the revs up if it tries to stall. Could just be the engine is totally coked up after years of running rich!