Pierburg O Ring

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by AxlFoley, Apr 21, 2007.

1. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

Ok so i bought the O ring, but after looking on ETKA, i cant sfor the life of me see where it goes!!!

some help please :p

Thanks

Mark

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately the pictures on rubjonny's excellent pierburg FAQ are out of action currently, but it does describe the procedure v. well.

You'll want a replacement inlet manifold gasket to go with the o-ring change, and looking at that will show you where the o-ring is to be found. Unfortunately, getting the mainfold off is a pig of a job to put it mildly. If you search for recent threads by Shexuel, he recently described the 'impossibility' of getting the manifold off, and got lots of helpful advice.

One thing to bear in mind is that the Weber carb is far less reliant on the water-flow through this channel and the manifold generally. Though a decent temperature (not too hot, not too cold....juuust right) is good for performance and economy, there aren't the autochoke bits that depend on a good flow of coolant. Therefore may not be a priority job.

Best of luck, :)

Pete

3. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

I just had a look, and i can see where it is now, looks like a right Cnut to get out, not an easy 5 mins job :(

I've just been offered an 8v GTI loom and manifold, so i think i may start the colection for an 8v conversion, i should allreay have most of the parts in my volt of bits n bobs.

I think if im going to the hastle of removing the manifold, i may well swap the engine lol

Also i think there may be wear on pistons 1 and 2, both spark plugs were wet, and they had a small amount of white build up on them, (although this could be due to over fueling) also when i accelerate i sometimes get a puff of black smoke.

Why do cars have to be so bloody complicated!!!

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I've added a new fixed faq post to the carb section and asked a mod to move it for me. The new one also includes 2e2 vacuum diagrams :)

clickity do da, clickity day

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

:clap:

Three suggestions for additions to the FAQ (if I may be so bold):

A comment about not assuming your problem to be 'carb' until ignition stuff's all been replaced/checked?

A comment about the warm-air feed/carb icing?

A comment about going through the whole checklist rather than assuming that a problem discovered is the problem?

Best regards,

Pete

6. rubjonny

Why not add a post in there yourself before its moved & locked ;)
    Also what about some of your other findings, the one about the warm air flap thingy for example :clap:

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Sorry, didn't mean to sound lazy. Didn't realise it was 'unlocked'. May add a quick reply about the things mentioned. I'll try to be be brief! :lol:

8. rubjonny

Sorry wasn't implying that you were being lazy. I'm the one being lazy cos I couldnt be bothered to add your comments in :lol:

9. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Lazy, not you Sir. Just sorted out all the digifants didn't you? (Amongst other things, no doubt, k-jets for instance, in a sentence!).

10. rubjonny

well that was a copy/paste from elsewhere :lol: