Pig of a grille

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by I'mMarkTwoToo, Feb 26, 2019.

1. I'mMarkTwoToo Forum Member

I'm in the process (currently 2 days in) of swapping my original grille (mk2 GTI) for a replacement as the original was in quite poor shape and the previous owner had, for reasons unknown, decided to scrape off the red line.

While swapping the grille, I managed to remove it ok but I just can't get the bloody new one back on. Whatever I try to do, it just refuses to sit right. Not by a little, I'm not quite happy with it styleee, but proper won't fit. With the top in, the bottom is sitting out by a good inch and no matter how much swearing and pushing and pulling is going to get it to fit, despite several clips now being broken!

Has anyone got any tips for how to put a grille back please? I've looked on youtube and I can find only one video (in German I think) but the guy just walks up to the front of the car pops the bottom in, pops the top in and Bob's your uncle.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

That's pretty much it, I took 2 out yesterday and refitted them. Bottom in first , then top, making sure that the clips at each top corner are in the proper position.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

is it a genuine one? if not that could be the problem

4. I'mMarkTwoToo Forum Member

Cheers Tristan, I must be doing something wrong but for the life of me I can't see what. The grille either fits one side but not the other and vice versa, the clips in the centre top of the grille have to be forcibly pushed downwards to fit into the slots on the slam panel. I thought I had it at one point but when I put the bonnet down it just pinged straight out again.

It's not a genuine one Jonny, but it is good quality (with the excepton of red overspray). I'll have a good look tomorrow and compare it side by side to the one I removed, which is an original.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  5. I'mMarkTwoToo Forum Member

After much trimming, shaving and ultimately hacking at the four clips along the bottom of the grille, I have admitted defeat. Everything appeared to line up with the original grille and everything was in the same place, more or less. It wasn't until I really sat down and compared the two that it became obvious that the new replacement, pattern, part was out of shape. One end sat about 2mm higher than the ther end when placed n a flat surface. No wonder it didn't fit. If I could, I would post a link to the grille on ebay but they've sold out from the buyer I got mine from. Mine cost £75, so if you see any on ebay for that price think twice.