Piston styles?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Richjay77, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

Have just got the pistons out of the EZ 1.6 engine I got off drunkalan but noticed one of them looks a little different in style but measurements are identical. Is this a common thing or has it been changed sometime in its life? Conrod is the same as the other 3 just the piston crown.

[​IMG]

2. erantomer Forum Member

emmm, i bet it didn't leave the factory this way so it must have been swapped.
    but are you sure they are the same size? cos' the right one looks shorter, which means it belongs to a different lump:o

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  3. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

just the way its sat on the box thats all the on the left is sitting taller, only difference is the side of them.

4. erantomer Forum Member

so it was swapped for some reason.

5. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

the left one is the correct piston, no idea about the right one, must have been a later piston swopped for an original for whatever reason

6. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

seems that way

7. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

just measured them with a vernier caliper and are the same dimensions all over, the one on the right isn't as coked up and can read the part number, the other i cant as really coked up and have got one soaking in gunk degreaser see if i can clean the top up to ID it.

8. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

i didn't find any parts numbers on my pistons when i cleaned mine up? well not on top anyway, might be in the piston

9. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

The one has markings reading 80.9

10. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

hmmm thats a puzzle, ill check thro the history, but im sure there was no mention of any engine work.

the pistons should all be just shy of 81mm something like 80.98

11. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

80.985 I can read on one, they all measure the same Alan just the one on the right has a small area where the gudgeon pin sits, the other 3 have markings saying made in brazil and the other one on the right is Mahle piston.

my only question is the area at the side will it make any difference or is it just a physical difference that has no effect on the engine.

The conrods etc have the same part numbers. Just no real clear markings on the pistons for part numbers. They do all have VAG stamps inside the crown though.

12. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

do they all weigh the same
    as that is the only possible difference if they are all the same size.

13. erantomer Forum Member

what should concern you is why it was swapped, and what happened to the cylinder bore.

14. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

Cylinder bore is fine, took it my local engneering place and had a device they put down the bores to measure and the tolerance is within what the engine should.

Guess it must have been changed, or one being Mahle which VW use and they other three unkown make but VW made in Brazil could have been changed? lol

15. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

its strange, the history has nothing in it about any engine work other than oil, coolant, plugs etc.

i would use a piston from the other engine if it was me.

16. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

luckily Danster was selling a set of pistons from an Ez engine all matching for 20 so I've gone down that route.

One thing I'm not sure you can answer is the baffle in your sump that hooks onto the oil pump is quite a bit bigger than mine and more of the sort you'd find in a modern engine, covers the majority of the sump. The one from mine is like a little paddle lol Which is better??

Spend the day cleaning the block up and cleaing the water jacket, come up a treat:)

17. danster Forum Addict

The later engines have a larger plastic baffle plate.
    They both do the same job but the larger one will be marginally better at keeping the oil in the sump and away from the crank during "spirited driving".

18. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

Thats the answer I was looking for lol

19. danster Forum Addict

Well if there is the potential for "spirited driving", you could get 1mm or so skimmed off the head to improve performance!:o
    Chuck in a gti cam and fit a digifant down pipe.
    The std compression ratio is so low on these 1595cc engines, it is a miracle they run at all.:lol:

20. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

Engine I got off DrunkAlan has a gti cam, head is getting skimmed anyway, and might consider the downpipe option;)

Guess it must be good for at least 5hp

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010