Please help a noob - 924 cold running issues

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by Last Triumph, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Last Triumph New Member

Hi all, I was directed to this forum by a fellow dubber who suggested there were some very learned K-Jet folks on here that might be able to help me diagnose and test for a running issue on my 924 2.0 NA K-Jet.

When starting from cold, it fires instantly and will run without cutting out, but runs very roughly at 950-1,000 rpm as if it desperately needs a fast idle and some fuel enrichment. If I bring the revs up to 2,000 rpm, it's fine and smooths out, but as soon as I lift off, it struggles along with a rough and lumpy idle until warm.

After a few minutes of warming up, it runs perfectly and hot starting is also perfect.

I know little about the CIS system, although initial searching suggested I should check the auxiliary air valve first. I removed it and when cold can see through it and after a warm up under a hair dryer, it closes up. I assume therefore this is not the culprit.

Am I correct is concluding that because it fires easily when cold, and because my cold running issues are prolonged until the engine starts to warm up that it is unlikely to be the cold start valve which if I understand correctly squirts additional fuel for between 2 and 12 seconds to aide cold starting. As it starts easily and quickly, can I rule out the CSV?

At this point I'm stuck and need help to diagnose and test for the problem.

What is the warm up regulator I hear about? What is it;s function, how does it work, how is it controlled and how do I test it? Is the WUR a possible cause?

Could do with some guidance.

Many thanks in advance.

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

you can test the WUR you have two checks one is to check the resistance of the heater and you also check the pressure against time as it warms up you check it against a graph in the workshop manual

3. MUSHY 16V

what can happen is the heater can stop working and takes longer for the WUR to build up pressure
    it is basically a bimetallic strip as it heats up it moves forward letting a pin with a spring behind it act on a diaphragm

it will eventually get where it needs to be with the heat of the engine this may be you problem ie it is running to rich till the WUR heats up enough
    or it could be slightly blocked with crud in the fuel and is running lean
    the latter is easily fixed by blowing it out with a air line

4. Last Triumph New Member

Sadly, I'm lacking a pressure gauge or workshop manual. I only have the next to useless Haynes.

Is there a simple bench test I can do?

I found this.... http://b2resource.com/PDFs/wurfix.pdf which if I understanding it correctly says that as the electrical element heats up the bi-metallic strip along with engine heat, it pulls away from the spring to increase fuel pressure when warm. Therefore when cold, the bi-metallic strip pushes against the spring to reduce fuel control pressure to allow more fuel to the injectors when cold?

Am I correct in thinking that the function of the electrics wouldn't effect the cold running, as the electrics (and engine heat) are there to increase pressure when warm?

If that is the case, how does a failed unit effect cold running if it's natural state is pushing down on the bring to reduce fuel pressure? Stuck spring? Broken or damaged bi-metallic strip?

Am I on the right track?

5. MUSHY 16V

very little to go wrong with them other than the heating element unless some one has been messing with it

6. Last Triumph New Member

That's what I thought. I can imagine them failing and giving warm running issues, but it;s natural state is cold, so for it to fail when cold would indicate the the bi-metallic strip or spring was goosed which would then effect warm running - which is perfect.

Could it be anything else?

Are my conclusions about the cold start valve and aux air regulator correct?

7. MUSHY 16V

resistance should be around 15 49 ohms it is marked on the element

you may also have a auxiliary air valve/regulator they can give up over time as well it adds more air as it warms up till it shuts off

8. Last Triumph New Member

Yep, checked the aux air valve and working fine.

Can I just clarify - if the purpose of the heating element is to bend the strip away from the spring, hence increasing pressure when warm, then for cold running issues, the be-metallic strip whoudl be acting upon the spring to reduce pressure?

If this is the case, then a faulty heating element wouldn't change the cold running status? it would only delay the increase of fuel pressure until the engine warmed the unit up sufficiently?

I'm just trying to see how a faulty WUR could alter cold running only? When cold, it doesn't actually do anything? Only when warm does it increase pressure be releasing it's effect on the spring.

Have I got that right?

9. MUSHY 16V

when you start it from cold it would be ok but would be slow to incise the pressure so would have a richer mixture for longer
    it only takes two and a half minutes for it reach full pressure on a golf

10. MUSHY 16V

there is a website with all the Porsche workshop manuals i had it saved on my old pc not sure if it is still available
    i can also post a picture out of a mk1 or 2 manual of the graph though it may differ for a 924

11. MUSHY 16V

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have a read of this thread, obviously a lot of it will be useless to you but there are some sections you can use e.g injector testing, metering head checks and flap setup, cold start checks etc
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?195423

13. Last Triumph New Member

I'm trying to remove the WUR to clean test and inspect it but how and where to I isolate the fuel. The larger 14mm banjo is fine it just leaked a small amount of fuel as I undid it, bhowever the smaller 13mm banjo just endlessly leaks fuel when removed. I gave up after two mug fulls on the basis that I felt it would carry on until it drained the tank. I traced this line back to the fuel distribution block where it fed into a banjo that came out the side with two lines feeding into the same bango - and removing that one leaked heavily.

Where how do I isolate the fuel to this line?

All the line seem hard and not easily clamped.

14. rubjonny

must be a down to the porsche system I guess, on all the VW I've messed with once the wur line is off it only leaks a small amount.

the way I stop this happening when replacing the main pump on a MK2 golf is to disconnect the fuel lines from the lifter pump in the tank, assuming you have one of those you can do the same. if not look for the feed inoput line to the main pump, hopefully its rubber and can be safely clamped to stop all the fuel leaking out :)

15. Last Triumph New Member

I removed the rear jack stands and with the car nose up, the fuel flow ceased, allowing me to remove the WUR and test it. Simple case of gravity causing draining from the fuel tank return line.

On the bench, it measured 19 ohms. The Haynes manual says it should read 20 ohms, so I was happy that the electric heating coil hadn't failed.

I tested the spare one and it measured 19 ohms also, so I was happy that I had two WURs with working heating elements.

Therefore if there was a fault, it was either mechanical or a blockage on the ports.

For the record, the ports were spotless.

At this point I thought it was worth just fitting the spare unit to see if it made a difference to how it ran from cold.

And boy, what a difference - it now hardly runs at all.

It will fire, but won't run. If I kick the throttle hard a few times I can get the revs up, but it's spluttering, coughing and popping and won't idle at all. Tried several times - no difference.

So, I've either disturbed something making it run like crap now, or the WUR I've just fitted really is knackered, and the one I suspected was faulty, actually isn't and the lack of fast idle from cold is something else.

Or the one I took off is still faulty, but not as faulty as the one I replaced it with.

Do I refit the one that was known to at least run and idle, albeit roughly from cold until warm, and if it then runs as it did before hand, I know the spare one I fitted is duff and I've not messed up anything else?

So far we know....

1) The cold start injector works as it fires instantly.

2) The aux air valve works - removed and tested, hot and cold.

3) With the original WUR unit, it ran perfectly when warm, but needed a fast idle when started from cold, but would at least idle.

Any thoughts?

The thing that is bugging me is that when warm, it drives perfectly - no flat spots, no hesitation, no missing or coughing, doesn't run rich, clear exhaust - all as it should be which tells me that fundamentally the fuel and ignition system is sound.

If it's only missing a fast idle from cold, that suggests that it is something to do with a supplementary system failure, designed to aid cold start up, of which there are three - aux air, cold start injector and the WUR, two of which we know are working.

16. jamesa Forum Junkie

Do you have an Idle Stabilization Valve / System and can you identify the CIS related engine / coolant temperature sensors ?

17. Last Triumph New Member

No, just the aux air, WUR and cold start injector. There's no real electronics to it.

For the record the in tank fuel pump has been disconnected and the car just uses the normal in line pump. They used to only have one pump anyway, but could that be an issue? Having said that, it runs perfectly when warm and at high revs/fuel demand....

18. rubjonny

it could be the base setup is way out due to the old wur being faulty, and now the car needs resetting with the replacement unit? they're definitely the same part numbers though right? I take it you have checked all the other basics from my thread such as makign sure the cold start valve only sprays when cold cranking and doesnt leak, injector spray pattern is ok and delivery volume is good plus made sure they dont leak etc

19. Last Triumph New Member

Tonight's experiment...

I stripped down the WUR that was native to the car to see what state it was inside. So far we know that the heating coil is fine as it measured 19 ohms.

I stripped it down to find this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was absolutely pristine and the ports where clean and clear as a whistle...

[​IMG]

I blew through them with zero resistance and cleaned them with brake cleaner just to be sure and then put it back together.

Whilst doing so I noticed that the brass boss that the bi-metallic strip is mounted to has taken some hits from a punch in the past which I guess was someone's attempt to adjust the fuel pressure previously?

[​IMG]

This set alarm bells ringing, so I used my digital verniers to measure the depth of the brass plug on the spare WUR I fitted without success last night, knowing it was virginal and had not been touched due to having a light unmarked patina on the surface of the brass plug. Then with some gentle taps using a hammer and drift, I reset the one I had stripped to exact same depth as the spare unit. Whilst not perfectly accurate, it at least tells me that the unit is now as near as possible to a factory unit, with a working coil and immaculate internals.

As I'm now well practiced in removing the until, I put it all back together and tried again. It's certainly better than it was before I started to investigate, but it still idles at 900 rpm cold, which just feels too slow and hence there is vibration and roughness.

I've taken a short video of the first cold start after reassembly with no fuel in the lines, hence it take a couple of cranks to fire, but settles quickly. The second half of the video is a hot start taken 20 mins later after I'd left it running. Fires straight up and sounds great. So I now have a car that fires and runs instantly from hot and cold, but just idles too slowly when cold.

[youtube]mtB8yR8o1xg[/youtube]

So, what controls the cold idle speed on the K-Jetronic?

jamesa likes this.
  20. rubjonny

the only idle adjustment on basic vw kjet is the idle screw, from cold while the car warms up the AAV adjusts the idle till its fully at temp. there may be something else on the porsche but I couldn't say either way. I would say get the engine fully warmed up then reset the base idle and CO%, the mixture will probably be off now with all the adjustments you have made.

Once thats done if all else is well the cold idle will hopefully be sorted as well. VW book spec on the idle is around 900rpm, not sure what the porsche figure is. you could try raising the idle up a touch see if its better :)