Please Help me Electric Gurus!!!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Funkyfin2000, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Hi all,

I have psoted about this before, but its still not fixed.....right....i have a mk3 dash conversion in my mk3, the fuel guage is still DEAD. well and truly....well you turn the key it flicks slightly but never goes up.

Yesterday I had the fuel sender in the tank replaced, and it hasn't fixed the issue. The clocks are fine (swapped with 2 others and same problem - also tried the clocks in another car, and work fine) The loom from the mk3 cluster to the fuse box work fine, tried in another car with same clocks as mine and work, everything works......so its not a connection issue or a wiring issue.

I have also had the three wires running to the back of the car to the fuel sender, checked for breaks and all run a signal through them...

I can get the fuel guage to read if i take the clocks out and fiddle, take the connection in and out a bit and it works, but reads wrong, and then slowly but surely after driving it for about a 1mile will lose the signal and drop the guage down to zero again and be dead!!! :(

so what on earth is wrong? my next port of call is going to be a new fuse box i think, as i have replaced and checked everything apart from that...

It always use to work fine in my old mk2 dash and even in the orginal mk3 clocks i had in from the driver (i upgraded to mk3 16v clocks for the MFA) so i don't see why now it causes a big problem!

why would it get signal then drop it and drop it, as you drove the car?

Any help, very much appreciated before i go out and change the fuse box :(

Rich