Polo 6N 1.4 16V in a Mk2

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Dubber84, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Dubber84

Dubber84 Paid Member Paid Member

Hello again guys. I’m just thinking of other less complicated conversion I could do in my MK2 1.3.

And was wondering if anyone has put a Polo 6N 1.4 16v engine in a 1.3 Golf MK2. And if so is it a simple conversion?

what do I need to complete the conversIon and can I use the polo gear box and loom?

Appreciate any advice/help received, thanks

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Not sure, but on club polo theres a guide for fitting in a breadvan, theres an engine on ebay for 200.
    Is it same engine as in the 9n polo, fabia, ibiza? As in could you get one easier as a donor, with loom, ecu, gearbox etc, newer and more common presumably, we got hold of a 1.2 9n3 for £400 with 11 months mot, for my son last year, I'm driving it weekly as he hasn't passed test yet, it's fun, nippy and economical and I have thought it would be a great little lump for a swap, but being a 3 cylinder unsure how would compare for mounts, 4 cylinder would be better and may have points for brackets like 1.8t or pd does for rear engine mount.
    Might have to investigate more, polo bluemotion powered mk2 would be a nice eco-wagon.

3. Dubber84

that’s what I was thinking. Being that the 1.3 in a MK2 just lacks that little bit of power. I think a 1.4 16v would suit it perfectly! I’m gonna have a dog around some other forums see what’s around s good shout on the 3 cylinder blue motion, eco and cool AF

dodgy likes this.
  4. dodgy

Sure I read something once about 9n polo gearbox having bolt holes for short and tall block motors, but may be mistaken, and theres a combination of driveshafts that also work, just need 4mm spacer between outer cv and hub I believe.
    Presume would also need mk3 golf tank to take pump, but they are still around in Breakers.
    I'll look more at Ed's polo tomorrow when playing in the garage, see if mounting points are on block, quick read of the club polo article said the 1.4 has 2 bolt holes lining up, not 3, but to make a plate to go between mount and block with extra stud and extend to an unused one on engine.
    Cheap 9n platform car could also give rear hubs and hack mounting off to make bracket for discs, same beam, stubs and hubs on disc or drum, just whether fit backplate/drum or disc/calipers, paid about 25 or 30 for rear beam off ibiza fr complete. Digressing, sorry.

5. dodgy

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

drops right in using your old gearbox and brackets, the hard part is wiring it up if tyou want the ecu (though not all that hard) plus makign up the exhaust to fit since the polo downpipe will hit the subframe need to make a kink to clear

erreesse and Dubber84 like this.
  7. Dubber84

thanks. So I can use my gearbox and clutch, But what about the mounts? Will I have to modify them or use the Polo mounts? I can get a custom exhaust done

8. rubjonny

all the old brackets will swap over, if the polo engine comes with a box use that the ratios will be better plus starter as well iirc the mk2 ones a bit big to fit round the back. polo clutch and use the polo flywheel to match it

Dubber84 likes this.
  9. Dubber84

What’s iirc mean? You sound like you really know what you talking about.......Do you want to do the conversion for me at a price?

10. rubjonny

if i recall correctly ;)

If I had the space to do it I'd consider it, but unfortunatly not. dont even have a garage really as most of it was robbed to make a study before we bought the house so its just a massive cupboard which is now pretty much packed up to the rafters :lol:

11. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

iirc the gearboxes for the 1.4 16v engine suffers from diff bearing wear as well same as the 6N2 polo gti 16v