Polo 9N PAS pump wiring?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by murph81, May 2, 2014.

1. murph81 Forum Member

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Two way is (thick!) battery power and ground, three way is the angle sensor, four way is ignition live and Canbus pair.
    PM'ing you a link to a jpg in my dropbox, having trouble with photobucket this morning.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

okiedokie!

T2a
    1 - red/blk - permanent live
    2 - brn - earth

T4r
    1 - org/brn - CAN-LOW
    2 - org/blk - CAN-HIGH
    4 - black/yellow - Ignition live

Last plug goes to the PAS sensor, looking at the diagram its either a 3 pin if rack is a TRW unit or 4 pin if SIMI-KOYO manufactured. This might be an issue using it on a mk1, the steering sensor is mounted on the steering rack so I'd assume it wont work without?

4. Porth New Member

Is there any chance to get the PAS pump working without steering sensor and without CAN-Connection? For example to be able to fit it at a MK3 Golf?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i think the important part is the steering sensor, can-bus i imagine isnt important. but i cant say for sure unfortunately I've not seen anyone else try! you can find similar units off earlier cars without any fancy gubbins though worst case. not just VAG other makes have similar setups :)

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Pretty much as per ^

From a very recent post on Briskoda.net, by a guy called sepulchrave who tends to know what he's on about:

"The steering pump is completely self-contained with it's own little on-board ECU which takes the input from the steering angle sensor and translates it into power assistance. No coding or reprogramming of the main ECU is required, the pump is connected to the vehicles CAN-bus which is how it communicates with the diagnostic socket, the vehicle speed sensor and the warning light."

So it sounds like you could get something going if you could mount a compatible steering angle sensor and something for it to read onto the column; but even then you'd end up with a system that wouldn't be speed-sensitive. I'm not sure how important that might be.

7. murph81 Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies lads, looks like something from a Saxo or an Astra might be easier!