Polo broke down - now won't start

Discussion in '8-valve' started by GolfD, Oct 4, 2008.

1. GolfD Forum Member

My 1.6 Polo has been overheating, i don't think the fan was working. Anyway i was driving along the motorway yesterday and all was fine, the temp gauge went a little over the middle but then the car lost power, it would struggle to do 50mph and every so often it would hesitate and when i put my foot down on the accelerator there would be a strange clicking.

I managed to pull over on to the hard shoulder where a load of steam came from under the bonnet, i opened it to let the engine cool down, the coolant tank was now pretty much empty and then i noticed the bottom hose from the engine block had come off and there was no clip around it.

I got the car towed home, and I took the lid off the coolant ball and tried to start it and the water spouted out like a fountain. The car won't start now and when i turn the key the coolant/temp light is on the dash which im pretty sure isnt usually there.

Is this definitely going to be the head gasket?

2. gtiden New Member

take the oil filler cap off or pull out the dipstick and check for coffee colored gunge,
    plus the coolant temp indicates a lack of water.
    i,d say head gasket.

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

sounds very likely ...

4. GolfD Forum Member

I'm going to book it into my usual garage on Monday, what can i ask them to do to make sure they are fixing the right thing? I can imagine i'll pay 250 to get it fixed and then god knows what else to fix the problem that caused it to overheat...

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

dunno mate...a good garage should know what to do

chances are the head will need resurafacing...ask about that