Polo G40 Turbo- Trackday Toy

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Yoof, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Yoof Forum Member

Mr Hayes?

Cheers for the comments, I did say if anything else broke I'd stick a 20v in it... but I'm quite a fan of the small block- really want some reliability from it now though.

A vid I found from the ouside at Curby

[video=youtube;oGjdpb-JsOU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGjdpb-JsOU[/video]

Cheers for the comments!

benny- The 'quiff' as I've decided to call it should hopefully let me set the car up a little better for corners, the Gripper is awesome for out and out grip, but I don't drive the car often enough to get used to it (unfortunately) and I now struggle to be progressive with the big turbo (smaller turbo is wasn't so bad, but only 200bhp) I'm hoping it won't just light the inside up on every corner though, and will make some attempt, however feeble at helping me round the twisty bits!

2. Yoof Forum Member

Back on the road now :thumbup:

Quiff is as expected, yet to try it on track and with slicks. Need to fix my actuator bracket and rebuilt another dizzy/hall sender as this one is on the way out.

[​IMG]

3. 16valver Forum Member

I really like this :thumbup:

Looked at it the other night but for some reason started up from where the head bolt snapped. Read the whole thing just now and it has been some adventure!

Suits having the arches black, dont think they would look nearly as good in red. Engine install is very tidy.

4. tech1889 Dan Forum Member

Been looking at Polo's recently really fancy one when i sell the astra

5. Yoof Forum Member

Now back in the garage for a few mods before Santa Pod/Trackdays this summer. Remote oil filter/thermostat going on, some tidying up of wiring, and a pukka suspension setup at Center of Gravity. Oh and the gas...

Polo in its new house:

[​IMG]

And on the scales:

[​IMG]

776kg full fluids (washer, methanol, coolant, oil) half a tank of petrol

Split with driver in: 63% Front / 37% Rear - 53% Right / 46% Left

All in I'm fairly chuffed with that, lots of cage & turbo/intercooler over stock, and still have a full sized battery & dash.

Cheers

Pete

6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Blimey that's light! So how does the 'quiff' feel compared to the plate? I'm currently looking at plate diffs myself. What was the spec you had with the Gripper?

Thanks.

Gurds

7. Yoof Forum Member

Hi Gurds,

Quiff is as expected I think, I've not tried it yet with slicks - a few 106 forums seem to rave about the need for left foot braking on circuit with them, but I'm not sure if that's internet fact or not.

At the moment it's still got the ability to leave 2 black lines at 30mph in 2nd without any problems, makes it much more drivable on the road compared to the plate diff, although I still have a suspension alignment problem I think. When 100% committed on a roundabout it hasn't got the same grip as the plate diff had. Although both can easily overcome road tyres.

The plate diff was awesome on the track, I used between 85lbft and 110lbft preload (rebuilt it a few times after broken boxes). My only gripe was after the initial run in period I lost some preload and needed to fit a new clutch plate, after that was good as gold. Gripper replaced their output flange washers (sit in the centre of the diff and the output flange bolt tightens into them) with standard VW ones, as the Gripper versions weren't up to the job.

I can't remember my ramp angles off the top of my head, the Polo diff is fairly unique in the fact it also uses only one clutch pack (norm is 2) which in my opinion on lift off made the car wonder slightly, as all the work is done by one side of the driveline. Due to space constraints you can't fit two clutch packs in the 085 box, Ricardo did on the Cup Cars, but found the casings had to be relived and then made them weak.

I don't think you have that problem with the larger 02* gearboxes though :thumbup:

Yeah, it's fairly light - one of the appeals of a Polo (the only one?)

lol

Pete

vw_singh likes this.
  8. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Thanks for all the info Pete. I would have thought a regular quaife was a step backwards compared to a plate diff on the circuit? But I can see why you're giving it a go.

I'm looking at a Tran-X for the 02J I have going into the mk1.

Gurds

9. ashley New Member

Great to see you're still plugging away with the polo pete.

Missing my polo days but looking to get into another project soon. Yours really is an impressive motor and testament to you for developing the car. From a standard car right up to now.
    Those N/A days seem a long time ago now mate eh!

Ash

10. Yoof Forum Member

How do Ash!

Yeah it's a long time since it looked like this:

[​IMG]

Various engines, gearboxes, wheels, suspension setups etc - all been awesome fun. Still remember fitting the nitrous system shortly after passing my test... lol

Pete

11. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Good thread Pete, nice development there. So that's what went at Curby bugger. As Gurds says Interesting your going back to the Quaife but they are fit and forget of course.

Interesting about the various changes you have made to the Grippper form std. Not sure what mine is set to but I had Gripper custom build it to the car spec/use and I know it's got some preload. It caught me out the other day when I was rolling it towards the start line with some lock on and I could swear the drive shaft was catching something as it rolled. Crawled underneath but of course then realised it was the diff jumping as the plates slipped!!

Let us know how you find the ATB on the track over the Plate. I'm convinced the plate is quicker but I've not found the speed yet. What I'm starting to realise the way to make up time with a plate diff is you have to stuff the car in to the corner far faster than you could with an ATB and then get on the power early and hard to get it to drag you out. Fail to do ether or and it all goes wrong so it's taking a while to over rule what my brain is telling me at the moment!!

12. Yoof Forum Member

I tend to agree Tony, the plate would be quicker overall, but at the moment I've not got the driving ability to extract that! The larger turbo also takes some getting used to, power hits very hard at 4000rpm and takes some modulation mid corner.

Going for setup week after next at Centre of Gravity, who have a very good reputation, got springs measured, weighed the car, so now all I need is the suspension in the right place... :thumbup:

Cheers

Pete

13. Yoof Forum Member

Update time, last few weeks have been spent putting the nitrous back on, having the suspension alignment done, and then a trip to Santa Pod to shake everything down.

First up was to get everything pointing in the right direction, I'll do a full review of this later, as I've not driven the car on track yet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear axle mounts modified, shim spacers on the sub axles to adjust camber and toe, lots more measurements taken along the way, full review after my next trackday. Thanks to Chris at CofG for his efforts, I'll no doubt sing his praises at a later date [:D]

Gas bits (bottle heater):

[​IMG]

Keeps a constant pressure by heating the bottle, maintains ~950psi

[​IMG]

NA vs Boost:

[​IMG]

Santa Pod time, boost wound down to 20psi but was pinking, so backed out of each run (only managed 3) best 13.1 @ 109mph, showing power is there, but need to sort the pinking issue before next outing, I suspect aquamist isn't working.

Pics, ronald is my mates, awesome little toy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I can sort this issue out, I'm hoping to get some runs in on tomorrow at VW Action, aquamist now working and the nitrous is in :)

Cheers

Pete

14. tech1889 Dan Forum Member

Really loving this car mate.. Always loved the g40's but out of curiosity if you started again would you buy s g40 or just a standard car because g40's really seem to be holding money ?

15. Yoof Forum Member

Dan cheers for the kind words- I've owned a few proper G40s over the years, to be honest, the engine is what makes it a G40, providing the shell is decent then bung a G40 engine in, drill a hole for a beesting ariel and job's a good 'un, obviously things like trim, clocks etc are visibly different, but nothing a few tools can't sort.

G40 prices have been circa 2k for a good few years, people might pay 4k for a 'good' one, but the cars are 20+ years now, and do need some maintenance, although it is cheap.

Mine is a GT, but I've owned it for 10 years as it was my first car, hence why I continue to put time and effort into an old Polo rather than something which; handles/looks good/stops/ is reliable / isn't a polo lol

Pete

16. Yoof Forum Member

Oh- ran 12.8 @ 110mph today at Santa Pod without the nitrous, kept breaking things when I used the gas (did 2 CV joints).

Best 60ft was 1.92 and best terminal 113mph, but I'm almost at the rev limiter in 4th.

17. G2T

G2T Forum Member

That's some polo!! Have a big soft spot for g40`s, and they`re giant killer abilities, but this is on a whole different level. Awesome!!

18. Yoof Forum Member

Pic from the weekend (thanks Tom):

[​IMG]

[video=youtube_share;k74TjD13tiE]http://youtu.be/k74TjD13tiE[/video]

Video of my first run off the trailer.

Cheers

Pete

19. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Good run i saw you doing it , two of my (1 fuel & 1 nitrous) solenoids failed so i couldn't run gas all weekend .

do you need a progressive controller 50

adjustable start power & final power , build up time

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  20. Yoof Forum Member

An update to prove I have done something...

Last trip to the 'Pod resulted in two failed CV joints, one off the line, which was replaced with a spare I had, and then the second CV went pop when I flicked the nitrous in 3rd... hmm.

(This was written on a Polo forum, so excuse the granny sucking eggs regarding golf bits... please correct if wrong!)

[size=16pt]History[/size]

085 Transmissions have a reputation of being weak especially in higher powered boosted applications. Not surprising given the 084 is was based on had to handle 895cc of power and a lightweight Mk1. Add a little weight, and lots more power (about 4 or 5 times the amount of the Mk1) and its not surprising a 230bhp G40 will strip gears for fun.

So far my 085 failures have been:
    Inner CV Joint
    2nd Gear
    3rd Gear
    5th Gear
    Diff/Final Drive Bolts
    Time for a change...

[size=16pt]Gearbox Options[/size]

Various options are available depending on budget, time and ability. My own headline figures to work to are:
    200kW (268bhp) Crank Power
    300Nm (221lbft) Crank Torque
    750kg + 2 Passengers (150kg)

Other consideration needs to be given for:
    Gear ratio options
    LSD options
    Clutch/Flywheel Combination
    Chassis Modifications Required
    Quantity of non-OEM parts
    Cost

That leaves some obvious choices:

085 Gearset
    http://www.klaus-bernert.de/rennsport.shtm

Not a huge amount of information about these, especially at the power/torque levels required. To benefit from the sequential requires an EMS change, or additional control for torque reduction (ignition/fuel reduction) during shift. Cost is high (6500EUR+)

Getrag R65 5C39
    [​IMG]

From a Mini Cooper S, 6 speed with triple shafts, so is shorter than most conventional FWD boxes (ala 02M). Custom clutch and flywheel required, along with mounting, shifter mechanism, and must be hydraulic clutch. Good spread of ratios with a 540mm tyre diameter (175/60R13 or 20/54-13 slick) gives 150mph in 6th at 7000rpm. One to think about...

Sequential Sadev/Gemini/Ricardo etc
    [​IMG]
    10k+ not being considered!

02a/02J
    [​IMG]

Validated to 250Nm for production in larger (note heavier) applications, so should be capable of handling more torque in a lighter Polo chassis. A good range of gear ratios, gear sets available, wide range of LSDs readily available. Gearbox can be had from 50 upwards, and have been in production recently. A mix of VW parts means cable change for the clutch, and flywheel/clutch combinations should be achievable without too many custom parts.

Worth noting 02M is a 6 speed, but is heavier and larger than the 02J, it has a torque capacity of 350Nm, and obviously has a bolt on transfer box for the 4wd applications (S3 etc) little overkill though.

[size=16pt]Gear Ratios[/size]
    I run various wheel/tyre combinations on the Polo, for gear ratio calculations the diameter/circumference of the tyre is important, heres mine:
    175/60 R13 (Stock G40) 540.2mm
    20/54-13 (Slick) 540mm
    18/53-13 (Wet Slick) 530mm
    20.8-14 (Drag Slick) 508mm

For the comparison Ive used a 540mm diameter tyre. I rev the Polo to 7,000rpm on track and have used half max rpm to calculate a cruising speed at 3500rpm.

Stock G40 gives:

[​IMG]

150bhp 20v 02J gives:

[​IMG]

Not really ideal, similar to a GT box in terms of ratio spread.

180bhp 20v 02J gives:

[​IMG]

Ratio spread with ATV on a 540mm tyre:

[​IMG]

Next installment will cover adapter plate design and machining to couple the 02J to the PY block, all for now!
    Pete

Toyotec likes this.