Polybushing front cross member

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Mk2Singh, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Hi all

I am in the process to fit powerflex bushes to my front crossmember on my Mk2 Golf but cant seem to get them fitted

I came up with the below solution to try to drive the bush into the holes but it keeps going in bent and the bush doesnt go in straight for it to fully go in:

https://flic.kr/p/P5irwf

How have others managed to do this? Also I am putting the bush the correct way around into the crossmember? Its the only way the small bracket will insert into them for the other part of the crossmember to bolt to it.

Hope someone can help, Thanks :)

2. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Have you tried boiling the bush first to soften it, then plenty of grease?

Also if you have a bench vice use that for pressing in duties, with a big socket on the other side it will help to keep everything square as it goes through, does make it a two man job though unless you enjoy juggling.

One of the grown ups will tell you if that's the right way round for the bush to go :)

3. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

As above, soften them up a little first and then plenty of grease, they'll pop in.

I used the base of an old piston (didn't have a large enough socket) and a vice to pop them in.

4. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Thanks guys! finally managed to get them fitted with the advice given. Boiled them up and use lots of grease with the setup I made as above and wound them in. Took a few attempts as some bushes decide to slip and pop out on one side but had to square them up and drive them in again

5. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

To be honest I just cut them in half and fitted them like that, couldn't see why they couldn't be split and far easier.

6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Kind of defeats the purpose if you split them
    I just put copper slip on them and pushed them in or used a vice
    The black ones are a bit harder than the purple and yellow ones so heating them as has been mentioned above will go a long way in making it easier to fit them

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Them slipping sideways can be a pain I've had that in the past with both poly and rubber bushes at least you got them in :thumbup:

8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I pushed the last set in with the chuck of a cnc mill!