popping/backfiring

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Michael8v, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Michael8v Forum Member

mk2 8v digifant gti... when i drop gears my exhaust always seems to pop quite alot, and just the other day i noticed if i redline the car and pump the accelerator it will even spit flames.. sometimes does it changing up a gear when booting it too... and normally does it every time i start her up if i give t a few revs.

surely cant be normal.. standard exhaust too.. although i fitted a stainless scorpion system last night and it still does it..

got a leak somewhere (think its manifold/downpipe joint) could that be anything to do with it?

dont get me wrong, i love the popping, but just cant see it being very normal lol.

2. mk2 oakey

mk2 oakey Forum Member

pop!!!!

Alright mate my 8 valve digi does the same when driven enthusiastically!! Love the "pop" changin from 2nd to 3rd!!! Think its blowing from the manifold somewhere but to skint a the mo to sort it,so just gonna keep enjoying the "poppin" for a while...................:thumbup:

[​IMG]

3. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

... [:[]

4. Michael8v Forum Member

Lol, only way to explain it.. not something i do reguarly might i add..

Mines blowing from the manifold somewhere too... [:s]

5. jono395 Forum Member

talking about popping....

ive got a performance exhaust including a milltek manifold, and a ported head... but CANT get popping and i get frustrated when all my mates can!

ive been told i get flames when backing off just after ive come off the dually.. but cant get them while revving it in a car park..

whats going on! i want flames:(

6. paultownsend Forum Member

it means your cars not running right. its not cool :)

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep the only 2 times ive had popping in my digifant was when:
    a) ignition timing was out
    b) exhaust baffles were shafted

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Tried a flamer kit? You might buy one from flames.com :thumbup:

Wikkid.

The Technique to make flames with this type of kit is all about throttle control, whilst driving in gear after a hard acceleration simply let off the throttle to allow unused fuel vapour to exit the exhaust. Basically after a surge of acceleration with the fuel flow being high, letting off will let any over run fuel vapour exit the exhaust unburned, with the spark plug in place this excess fuel vapour will be ignited to dramatic effect. Also simply blipping the throttle slightly whilst de-accelerating can create flames. Some cars can create flames at standstill, usually this is done by gently revving the engine up into the mid-range then letting the revs fall back down whilst gently sponging back on the throttle and blipping slightly whilst the revs come down. Basically once the kit is switched on, the spark plug should be sparking constantly so that when the fuel vapour in the exhaust gas is present it will ignite, switching the kit off will stop the spark plug and take away any danger of flaming when you don't want to.

Or you could even do it DIY http://www.ayrshore.com/coltturbo/flamerkit.htm

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Serious answer, check the two micro switches on the throttle body are working and the wiring going to them is ok. Over run fuel cut off may not be working.

10. Pricie Forum Junkie

You've both answered your own questions.....

Both of you have a leak in your exhaust somewhere, which is haemorrhaging ''fresh'' air into your exhaust system, which then causes unburnt or partially burnt fuel to burn in your exhaust.

Your possibly over fuelling somewhere too, although in one of your cases, this will be the redlining the car and pumping the loud pedal which is causing this.....

You should both buy highly tuned turbo'd motors, they pop and backfire for fun... plus unlike your 2 cars, the popping and backfiring on a tuned turbo car is a good sign

11. jono395 Forum Member

yeah as ive got a straight through exhaust, it should surely pop flames?..

well, maybe if i fixed the hole in my exhaust, and as the hole is because my backbox has snapped off, i may put a cheery bomb on:p hopefully see some then..

and yeah i always though that they flame when its not running right.. but my mates EK9 civic pops flames and his cars a minter!.. and my mates skyline.... hmmm

12. Michael8v Forum Member

I have a blowing exhaust, that could possibly explain it... may be over fuelling too, bit of both problems...

the flames are fun, but i know its not right...

Pricie, i take it thats why rally cars spit flames? highly tuned turbo'd motors....

13. Pricie Forum Junkie

Civics are crap. Its proabably knackered. lol, seriously its a Jap car and they have rules of there own, its a little more concerning if he hasn't got a turbo, but basically, if the engine is throwing out more petrol than its burning, you'll get a backfire or a pop.

And Skyline...... see above post about highly tuned turbo'd motors. ;)

14. Pricie Forum Junkie

Exactly.

Turbo cars, because they flow so much air into the engine, use extra fuel to dampen down the mixture so it doesn't burn too hot and cause engine damage.

Because if this, you always have a surplus amount of unburnt fuel in the exhaust, due to the heat of the exhaust gases and pipework, as soon as the unburnt fuel flies out of the backbox and hits fresh air again, it combusts. Hence the pop or flame.

Because yours has a hole in the exhaust, the fresh air is getting into the system and the unburnt fuel in your exhaust piping is combusting halfway down your exhaust. Thats why yours is popping. ;)

15. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

As Pricie said it's most likely down to the blowing exhaust, my k-jet pops & backfires on over-run due to the fact that I have a loose downpipe to frontbox joint.

16. Michael8v Forum Member

So if i can seal the exhaust, it shouldnt carry on popping... hopefully it is something as simple as that.. thanks.

Will miss the banging and flames though.. oh well lol.