Porsche Brakes for my Golf with 16" rims

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by kells, Jun 13, 2011.

1. kells Forum Member

Does anybody know what i need to do to fit some Porsche calipers onto my mk3

What discs do i need and which calipers, and whats the score with fitting them to the VW

my rims are 8 x 16" Porsche D90 if this helps

cheers

2. prof Forum Addict

brakes

3. kells Forum Member

Cheers for the lesson

Any ideas about what I am asking tho mate ??

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

5. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

There are variety of porsche calipers used on dubs

Good starting point is Seat Leon cupra r discs at 225mm i think and make brackets to take calipers of your choice. Some porsche rears are good choice to use up front on dubs

6. kells Forum Member

:lol::lol:

cheers mate, think cupra r ones are bigger than that?? any idea if anybody makes the brackets to purchase?

7. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

That will be 325mm hehehe sorry typo

Yea there are people over on ed38 forum so have a search, or ebay. Sorry i'v no links

8. jimk04 Forum Member

I use 996 fronts with a 305mm (4stud disc) on my mk2 with 7" D90s with 20mm adaptors. (mk2)

You dont state whether yours is 4 or 5 stud.

If 4 stud then you will be best off using the Seat Ibiza Cupra 305mm disc.

They are a tight squeeze!

If 5 stud then probably use the 312mm mk4 type disc but you may have clearance issues to the weights on the inside of the wheels.

Regarding brackets there are a few guys on ebay and the other forums who will sell you a pair for decentmoney - or buy a pair of OE Audi RS2 carriers, about 140 a pair last time I looked, - these need shimming to centre them in the caliper when using the 305mm disc - the 312 is more akin to the 'shallow offset 288 type disc so not sure you may need to shim less or more, cant think which way it will be!

Hope this helps.

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Boxster rear calipers are used on the front. There was alot of info on ED38 but they seem to delete past threads. A guy called superlativelycharged IIRC has done it on his VR

10. prof Forum Addict

the area of the pistons on boxter rears is less than stock 288 calipers, so not really worth it, stick to front calipers

11. jimk04 Forum Member

^^^^you beat me to it!

Assuming the OP is fitting the brakes for performance benefits and not aesthetical ones, then fronts are the way to go.

12. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

So you are saying because piston area is smaller, caliper cant apply same or more pressure?
    Wrong.
    In fact due to smaller area it will apply more pressure then stock caliper but pedal feel may be a bit sharper due to mismatch between piston area size and size of master cylinder .
    And greater pad area with better and more evenly applied force will offer better performance then stock caliper.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  13. prof Forum Addict

not true, show me your maths

elucidate bought some for his A3 a few years back and some quick sums showed they were pointless, like austin princess calipers, look good but don't stack up in reality.

the casting etc is stiffer than the OEM sliding 1 pots but the 1 pot offers more clamping force. use the boxster front calipers.

14. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

There is no need for maths for my point regarding pressure generated. Smaller piston will generate more pressure then larger one for same displacement of master cylinder.
    Size of caliper piston is largely dictated by size of brake pad so it can apply force evenly at the back of pad

That is why multi piston calipers can have smaller overall cylinders area but they are spread to apply force over larger pad area which leads to stronger brakes and less fade as they can absorb more heat and dispate it better.

So porsche has those calipers on the back for looks only instead of single piston caliper like lets say mk2 front? Dont think so

15. m1keh Forum Member

Pressure = force/area

Force=Pressure*Area

Therefore for the same pressure produced by the driver at the master cylinder, the bigger area at the caliper end = more force applied to pad.

16. prof Forum Addict

that's why there's the need for maths, not for vague theorys. The 4 pots are a superior design from many aspects, but in this case because of the reduced clamping force they are inferior at stopping the car compared with the 288 calipers.

the small pistons are because they are on the BACK with much bigger pistons in the front calipers that have a much bigger cross sectional area. think what mk2-4 golfs have on the back, now you wouldn't put them on the front would you

17. prof Forum Addict

a quick google

"oe front caliper has a piston area of 2205 and the Boxster front caliper, which is the one ecs use in their kit, and Neuspeed too, is 2274, so bigger than oe, and thats why that caliper works.

But the 996/Boxster S rear caliper has significantly smaller pistons, so has less area and so less available braking force. IIRC the Boxster front caliper has 36 and 40mm pistons and the 996 rear has 28 and 30mm. So it is obvious that the 996 rear is the wrong caliper."

the standard mk3 gti has 54mm pistons

18. prof Forum Addict

so area for 54mm pistons = 2290

area for Boxster rears = 616+706=1322. man you really don't want those

19. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

True

But even tho mk2 caliper have slightly bigger piston area which in theory will generate more force will this lead to better brakes when taken into consideration smaller pad and inferiour sliding arrangment?

Dont think so.

This is where i was trying to make a point of bennefit of having much larger pad area with more evenly applied force accross whole of the pad on both pads at same time unlike sliding caliper with unevenly applied force over smaller pad area preventing pad flex

Plenty of reading material out there explaining this very argument;)

20. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Prof, i get what you mean with cylinder size

But please read up how much of that force is transfered to the pads and discs in sliding caliper with certain pad area and the losses due to design

And then in a multi piston caliper