Porting vr6 headers

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by XCaptainXBloodX, Aug 19, 2014.

1. XCaptainXBloodX New Member

it seems that porting the stockers is going to be better than buying the cheap ebay headers. anyone have any experience?

2. shaboy New Member

Couldnt say about the vr6, but from experience in other cars, more often than not porting the standard headers will be of more benefit than buying the cheap cack. Stainless tubular manifolds do have a tendency to crack, I had decent ones on my old Nissan and that still cracked the cast ones are pretty much always going to be stronger.

Unless theres a known flaw with the standard ones, keep them. I had a mk3 gti 2.0 8v and I did a tiny amount of porting, which was mainly cleaning of the carbon build up, but that did seem to help things along with the other bits I did.

3. vr6smith Forum Member

Are you just cleaning it up or adjusting the airflow?

2.8vr6 has a restricted air intake manifold but the 2.9 vr6 doesn't, may help?

4. XCaptainXBloodX New Member

hoping that by cleaning it up and doing a litle bit of gasket matching i will pick up the airflow a little.

I have seen guides on how to do a 2.9 intake clone bu I was under the impression that it did little to increase flow and was more to get a desired sound.

5. vr6smith Forum Member

Maybe, not sure, would think it would help flow. Don't want anymore noise up front, mines loader than the exhaust lol

6. Natedogg Forum Member

excuse the thread hijack but......
    any one got a link on this manifold porting to make the 2.8 flow like the 2.9?
    i'd be interested to see the difference even if i don't do it.

7. XCaptainXBloodX New Member

Here's the diy, from what I gather the flow line from front to back would be the same but you would effectively be creating a resonating chamber.
    But thats just what I get from the various discussions I see, I am by no means an expert nor do I have any first hand experience.
    http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=23711

8. Natedogg Forum Member

oh i see now.
    cheers for that.