Possible Climatronic issue?

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Ads22, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Ads22 New Member

Hi there
    Hope anyone can help. Had my new mk5 for nearly 2 weeks now and really enjoying it. I'm in the process of getting rid of a few little niggles.
    One of them is that when I use the Climatronic heating system there seems to be a lot of noise coming from the fan and it seems to be running very frequently. Combined with this I also get a lack of power and occasional squeaking from, what I'm guessing is, a belt under the engine bay.
    When I switch it to ECON mode or off completely I got none of the above symptoms which leads me to believe it's that.
    Any one able to advise what I should look for or what this sounds like. Sorry I'm completely new to VWs and Mk5s so a bit unsure where to start. Car is 55 reg and no warning lights being displayed.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

radiator fan do you mean? its normal for the fan to be on slow while the a/c is active, though it shouldnt be noisy. perhaps its clicking to fast speed though due to an issue with the a/c system. the squealing could be the a/c belt, worth having a look see if its all good under there. maybe the a/c compressor is bad putting strain on everything, or a/c gas is low.

think its worth havign the diagnostics plugged in scan the climate control see if its got any codes flagged

3. Ads22 New Member

That's the radiator fan that is noisy yeah. It's on nearly all the time when the a/c is on. The a/c comes through nice and cold but it does feel like it's putting a big strain on the car. If I'm correct, this system a/c is always on unless it's put on ECON mode?
    The belt noise may be the a/c belt I'll have a look , but it definitely squeaks when you pull away briefly. I'm getting my Cam follower done in a few weeks so I'll get my garage to have a look if all else fails. Just wanted to know where to begin to look

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes unless the econ mode is selected ther a/c can be turned on at any time by the climatronic depending on the settings you have on the panel.

next time you fire it from cold, get the a/c on and see if the fan turns on right away and if its loud or not. then take it for a run and see if it feels like its straining and/or fan on loud straight away or if its only after the engine gets a bit warmer :)