Power Drain

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Jaundice, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Hi everyone,
    Becky's Valver is eating its battery, after 2 days of not being used its as flat as a witches nipple. I'm useless with electricity, any clues where I should start looking for a solution would be much appreciated.

2. golf pest Forum Member

Sounds like you have a nasty drain, if no good with this sort of thing take it to an auto electrician who will find the drain and put it all right for you.:thumbup:

3. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

I have a baby due in 8 weeks and no money for an auto electrician, so I really need to get this car working myself as it was purchased to be used as our "family car".

Also if I just give in and get a man in I will never learn how to fix it wil I? ;)

4. tones61

tones61 Forum Member

battery

if the battery looks old,i would put in a new one mate,,,we have fitted loads in work,,,the cold weather really knackers them if its down on capacity,and get someone to check the charge rate with a multimeter,tones,:thumbup:

5. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

This was on my "to do" list, anyway,but I had the battery checked and its fine.

Are there any particular earth points I should be checking or any common faults leading to power drains on an ABF? The alarm system (scorpion 5000) has now died due to me taking the battery off overnight to charge it, would this somehow cause a power drain?

6. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Still no luck finding the cause of this drain, so its booked in for a check on Tuesday. After leaving the battery off again for about 24hrs, the alarm and remote C/L started to work again today though:thumbup: good old VW's if you leave them long enough they will fix themselves!!!

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I;d start by checkign the boot and glovebox lights both go out when car is off, and also try removing the stereo. if it still goes flat it could be an old alarm, our polo was the same. luckily it had a key to disable it, so i did!

8. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

That could be it, I noticed today that the light in the glove box light comes on when you close it. Does it not go off when the ignition goes off?

9. nealey Forum Junkie

You can test for current draw by disconnecting the battery negative lead and putting an ammeter across the two terminals and monitor what it reads

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

well you could try turning the ignition off then check the glovebox light ;)

11. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

I went through all this a few months ago and thought it was just my 89 GTi, peed me off having to keep jump starting it after 2 days even with a big new battery. Other people with much newer cars were having problems too. Go on ebay and buy a battery isolator from tompomone - sorry no pic but they cost a fiver, I got a couple in case I lost a top bit. All you do is disconnect negative on battery, fit his thingy, attach your negative to his thingy and away you go! One and a half minutes to fit and it works by turning the plastic thing on top one way or another. You must remember to turn it back on before starting car as it will blow a fuse so I put something on drivers's seat to remind me. It might seem a pain to have to lift bonnet before and after but it's easier than a flat battery.

12. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

If you do this, have your alarm zapper ready as when you turn it back on it will scream also radio will need resetting.

13. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Thanks for the advice Granny, but its my pregnant girlfriends car, I really need it fixed before baby arrives. There's no way she'll deal with opening the bonnet every time she starts/stops the car. Also disconnecting the battery killed the alarm once already, it is thankfully working again now and I would like to keep it that way.

@Jonny
    Yeah OK was too cold and miserable last night, I'll go and check today...

14. Reidy10 New Member

just a quick one ... i had this and it stumped me for ages but it turned out to be the boot light had reversed somehow and was coming on when boot shut instead of going off... hope this helps

15. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Thanks reidy,Will check that,

Right, Glove box light goes "OFF" when ignition is off so its not that[:s]

Edit:

Checked the boot light and its not that either[8(]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  16. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

[:$] Being useless with electricity I don't know what it should be reading, there will be some draw I presume (stereo memory, alarm, clocks?) can anyone tell me as I might have access to a multi-meter today

17. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

It actually does not disconnect the battery but isolates it thus stopping any drain. I can appreciate she will not want to keep putting the bonnet up and down though in her conditon. Maybe once things have settled she would find the turning of a switch easier than being stranded. I just wanted to help.

18. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Well I took the negative off yesterday to test current draw, and there doesn't seem to be any,

but now the alarm and remote C\L have packed in again and its immobilised, so unless it rectifies itself today (I've left the battery off for 24hrs again), I will tow it to an expert on Tuesday and let him try and sort it

Thanks to everyone for their help!!!

@Granny racer, I actually think your idea is a good one, especially if we lose the alarm/immobiliser, they make great security devices too. But my mrs will not accept it, no matter how logical the argument for one would be, she wants it back to working how it was or "I'm gonna sell the ****ing thing and buy another one" as she so eloquently put it[:$]

19. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Right final update just to let you know what happened, I took it to RPM motors in Malvern (Paul there is a great bloke, knows his stuff and always sorts out a good deal) he took the alarm ecu apart, and noticed that if you twist it, it started working again, but when you let go, it packed up... So he checked the solders and repaired a few, put it all back together and hey presto!!!! Its all working again!!!!

The power drain was coming from the alarm, apparently one of the alarm relays wasn't working right because of the dodgy solder joints and that was when I lost the conversation. I don't think I'll ever understand car electrics way too complicated [:$]