Power loss at 60mph!!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by clockers, Dec 9, 2003.

1. clockers New Member

Hi all! As a brand spanking new member, I am hoping some of you might be able to help with a wee problem that occurred today..at 60mph! Driving along, no worries, when complete power loss, and at 60pmh in the overtaking lane, getting the car in to the hard shoulder was a bit trickey to say the least! (Sorry, I should have mentioned I have a 1995 Golf GTI 8v, with 79K.) Car then was turning over but not starting. Have learned already there is no spark at plugs (and it is not the timing belt). I never noticed any problem before, bar in the last couple of weeks, has fired and died, but on second turn of the key, all was ok (I have put this down to the fact I only use it every weekend or so- this may be a factor in what happened today???). Anyway, this is my position as of tonight,so before Mr VW tries to bend me over, and take lots of money off me, perhaps some of the very learned gentlefolk might be able to point me in the right direction..ECU's, dizzy caps etc??? Cheers.....Clockers

2. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

ECU Relay?

3. Ben8v Forum Member

Are you getting any voltage either in or out of the coil? If so it may well be rota arm/cap

4. clockers New Member

Hi all..narrowed it down to a coil pack today, bought one for 83 euro (48 or so) and hey presto, my pride and joy came back to life, first time!! Was a learning experience, albeit worrying when I heard talk of ECU's. Thanks to all who replied..cheers..Clockers