power

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by scottygolf, Apr 4, 2012.

1. scottygolf

scottygolf Forum Member

can anyone tell me the best way of going about getting more power from the 1.8 8v and the likely cost of doing so?[:s]

2. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

you could stick a 2 litre bottom end in but most folks will tell you to stick a different more powerful engine in

3. TJ2727 Forum Member

The common consensus round these parts is to buy a rusty mk3 16v and use its engine. I have seen taxed and tested ones going for around 450-500 which have looked all ok.

Could well be the cheap option in the long run?

What sort of increase were you looking for?

4. TJ2727 Forum Member

oh no I must be "most folks" :)

5. KentGTiKR Forum Member

KR/PL, 9A, ABF, VR6 or any 1,8T. That's the way :)

6. Joe16v Forum Member

no point doing KR as you could buy a 16v. It is a lot of effort switching engines when you consider you may need to do some resto and al the little bits like gaskets, nuts and bolts, brakes etc all add up.

But ABF does seem a cheap and easy swap.

7. solaris

solaris Forum Member

Yeah most people (including me ) don't consider the resto and the fact that "little bits" can end up costing nearly half of the block price..good point Joe

When asking how much something has costed me, i'm great at forgeting the costs of the "little bits" :lol:

8. scottygolf

scottygolf Forum Member

yeah having little mechanical knowledge doesn't help either.i'm after something around an extra 30 or so bhp.not sure if these custom mapping,re chip thingy is the way to go?[:s]

9. KentGTiKR Forum Member

Do you expect to get extra 30bhp only because of rechipping ?
    If talking about N/A 1.8 8v engine it will demand lot of money to invest to it for an extra 30 bhp. To my mind, it's easier and cheaper to swap it with a ABF and you gonna instantly have ~150 bhp :)

10. danTbone Forum Member

for the money i went from 1.9 tsr 8v to abf and i dont know why i didnt do it sooner. i used 8v gearbox clutch . i did my own wires it was only removing mrk 3 lighting loom and adding tci wires. another cost tho was an ecu decode 70 + decat pipe 40 . but just got parts at end of every month , and did wiring in between then through it all in one day :thumbup:.
    it has good power delivery and high reving + can up grade in future to megasquirt for a bit more goooooooooooooooooo.

11. scottygolf

scottygolf Forum Member

not sure about budget?wanted to get an idea first.like i said short on mechanical knowledge so perhaps i was thinking re map might do it all.won't going the abf route require alot of work?

12. Joe16v Forum Member

I doubt a re map would yield much if anything. Have a look in engine faqs. I'm sure there are a few guides In there on swaps. Are you dead set on keeping your car?

13. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

If you want balls out power then ABF is probably the best route as long as you don't mind messing with looms etc.

I did a 2 litre bottom end conversion a couple of years ago, it gives loads more low down oomph for everyday road driving & it cost next to nothing, I paid 70 for a 2E engine, had to buy head gasket set, bolts etc but then sold the unwanted bits from the 2E on bay for 50 & weighed in my old block for 40.

14. scottygolf

scottygolf Forum Member

yeah joe wanna keep the car as you can see from the pics she's not a bad looking car,just let down by the limited go..that sounds cheap gaz.how long did it take you to do?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. danTbone Forum Member

if you got all the parts ready to go and maybe a hand of a mate you get it all done over a weekend .
    you have to remove hole engine out , be the same to put abf in[:D].
    2e bottom end you have to remove your gearbox and fit to 2e bottomend+ clutch and fly wheel.
    put head on head gasget+bolts, sort timing . power steer pump fitment.
    abf ,put your clutch flywheel gearbox on , change rear engine mount throw it all in . just sort exhaust ,ecu decoade. and engine wirring(i might be able to help if ce2 fusebox)

16. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

THIS, break it till your left with the engine and wiring loom.

17. danTbone Forum Member

thats whats needed , worth thinking about .
    you get at least 100 for the shell .
    and alot more go for your money :thumbup:

18. scottygolf

scottygolf Forum Member

looks good,i'll have to wait til i move at the end of this month so i've got room for another car.atleast then i'll have double garage which luckily has a hoist in it too!will the engine and gearbox go straight in to the mk2?also do you have change all the wiring and clocks?sorry these questions might seems straight forward to you guys,but my mechanical skills are limited!l

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  19. scottygolf

scottygolf Forum Member

quick question, i've seen a 2.3 v5 for sale with gearbox, dials, transponder, ecu, wiring and manifold.how hard would this be to fit in my mk2?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  20. danTbone Forum Member

putting engine in is the easy party what ever one you chose , the thing with v5 im not sure on gearbox prob best to use v5 box and i would of thought it be hydro clutch /cable change , so will need to fit hydro pedals and cable change selector + clutch master cylinder. and bit more involved in the wiring side. also its an heavy engine will need to think about engine mounts /shocks/brakes to upgrade.
    there are lots of engine choise to chose from you need to have a good read on here on all engine setups,so you know whats involved and cost and long term.
    might be good to stick to original plan to tune 8v so you get an idea on whats involved .
    haven said that for the money and time /power increase abf is an good and easy install to do