powerflex rear beam bushes - wrong ones?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Vento Jim, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Vento Jim Forum Member

Ordered full bush kit from Venom a week ago, and if it wasn't for the
    monkeys that work for city-link in bristol i would have had them by
    wednesday.[:x][:x][:x]

Anyway, checked the bushes out and I've been sent these for the rear beam (this is what it says on Powerflex's picking label):

"PFR85-206

VW Golf Mk2-3

Rear beam mounting bush

5 wheel stud axle

2 per car - 1 in this pack"

Now i'm confused... no mk2's had 5-stud (plus axle) rear hubs and i
    specifically told Venom i needed the four wheel-stud axle bushes.

I've looked on powerflex's website and it seems to indicate i need bushes PFR85-207 (mk3 non-plus axle).

So i just wanted to check that i definately can't use the bushes ive
    been sent, before i send them back. Can anyone shed any light??

Cheers folks, J.

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

They're the wrong ones I think, and as it happens I also ended up with a set of these (i.e. the -206 instead of the -207) when I first tried to get hold of rear beam bushes for my MK2. You want -207 which is for the MK2. -206 is for the MK3. The way that they label the bushes and list them on the website leads to a lot of confusion I think.

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products.asp?cat=0037&catalog=023 7&submit1.x=14&submit1.y=8&submit1=GO

Unfortunately you can't use the MK3 ones.
    Edited by: Trev16v

3. AndrewF Forum Addict

i think the mkII ones are same as mkIII 4stud (non plus axle), then the mkIII 5stud (plus axle) ones are a larger diameter.

4. Vento Jim Forum Member

bottom!! guess that means i'll have to send them back, and let citylink make a balls-up of the delivery again [:x][:x]

On the plus side, i got sent power steering rack bushes, and non power steering rack bushes - for free!! Muppets :lol:

Cheers...

dont suppose anyone has any unwanted mk2 rear beam stylie bushes to swap for these things??

5. Vento Jim Forum Member

Dragging my original post up from the past, but i'm finally doing this job!

However, I'm stuck: I've removed the original bush and was about to remove the metal sleeve it was attached to. But the new bush doesn't fit, it's way too small!

Have I got the wrong bushes again? They're meant to be for a mk3 non-plus rear axle. i assume the ones I have are still wrong?

Sorry if the pics are a bit large:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anyone can help it'd be most appreciated, I'm stuck in the middle of this job now with no going back!

Cheers, James

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  6. AndrewF Forum Addict

well, technically you should have the correct ones...they look like mk2 ones to me (which should be the same as mk3 4 studs)

however, i'm sure i remember chrisP saying that its actually pot luck with mk3 4 studs....some have mk2 bushes, some have mk3 5 stud style ones.

i'd say you need the plus axle ones.

7. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry, I'm confused - this IS a MK2 that you're fitting bushes to, right? Just had a horrible thought that I had got it all wrong.... :s

If you desperately require MK2 bushes today then I do have a set of both brand new original bushes and some brand new poly bushes right here, but I'm in Oxfordshire.

Edit: Yep, think I got it wrong all along. This is for a MK3 chassis isn't it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Jim, the new bushes replace the metal sleeve. You uneed to remove it completely. The Powerflex bushes are NOT inserts.

Edit. Just realised. damn, the bush is too small to even fit inside the sleeve? Thats a bit of a bugger. I thought the only difference between the Mk2-3 and Mk3 bushes was the width though? :(

9. Vento Jim Forum Member

AndrewF: That's what I thought! When I first received the bush kit from Venom, I had been sent the plus-axle 5-stud only bushes, which I sent back because I thought they were wrong. Like you said, technically I was right and the new p/flex bushes I have state they are for mk2/mk3 non-plus axle 4 stud vehicles.

Trev16v: Yes, sorry, it is for a Vento/mk3. But I was always under the impression that 4-stud mk3's had mk2 style beams? Do you have any mk3 bushes then?!

Deako: Yeh, i thought the same. I was just about to bash out the sleeve when I realised that it looked a bit big. Offered the new bush up to find they were too small.

I'm so confused. And annoyed! I guess I'll have to phone Venom tommorrow and ask them to send me the correct bushes - mk3 5 stud plus axle.

Until then I have no car again and very little spare time [:x]

10. NormanCoal Forum Member

right, there is a reason that powerflex list the bushes as MK2/3 and that is that on later MK3's (I'm talking 4 stud here) they changed the beam bush type to the larger one, so what you need is that large bush kit, normally described as for a 5 stud car. There is no ryhme or reason, but from what I have found doing these is that the later cars, P and R reg, they have the large bushes instead of small ones

11. Vento Jim Forum Member

but mine's an M reg [:s]

it's weird the way vw do things! cheers chris p

12. Vento Jim Forum Member

anyone know anywhere in/near bath where i can buy new powerflex bushes?

13. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I suppose the problem also is, that someone could have bent the rear beam at some stage, and got a replacement from a later spec / alternative mk3 with the different rear axle.

14. Vento Jim Forum Member

there's always that chance. wish they'd used a plus axle![:D]

15. NormanCoal Forum Member

Dont worry about it being plus axle or not, as the axles on 4 stud are actually wider believe it or not. Beleive you me, I have seen enough of the damn things and measured them to know

16. NormanCoal Forum Member

There must be a powerflex dealer somewhere near you? Doesnt have to be VW related, but may help if you want them asap

17. Vento Jim Forum Member

fair play! i phoned venom and have sent the bushes back today foir a straight swap. expecting the new bushes on wednesday. i'm now at the stage of slipping the new bushes in and hanging the beam back up - the metal sleeves of the bushes beat me yesterday but i came back at them with avengence, more patience, a sharp coarse hacksaw blade, a hammer, big chissle and a large flat head screwdriver. did the job nicely [:D] [:D]

just gotta sit back and wait now... [|)]

18. tomstickland2 New Member

I've had the same problems today.
    I've got a Golf Mk3 1.9 TDi 1995 M reg.
    Ordered some rear beam bushes, powerflex PFR85-207.
    Says on the packet "Golf MK2/3 rear beam".

Dimensions are
    Dia 63mm x 32mm long
    Dia 45mm x 55mm long
    making a total length of 87mm.
    The bracket has a gap that's 100mm long, so these bushes are too short.

Hole down the middle is approx 11mm diameter.

Do I need the PFR85-206 then?

[​IMG]

19. tomstickland2 New Member

Sounds like my car.