Price difference between ECP and GSF

Discussion in 'Quality retailers & Supplies' started by luke w, Jul 29, 2010.

1. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Decided to finally treat the Corrado to a bit of a freshen up so decided to start with a new fuel filter as I didn't change it when I replaced the pump a couple of months back and a new air filter as I've been meaning to change it since I bought the car 2 years ago.

Went onto GSF first and the prices were quite reasonable coming to 14ish, but when I went to the check out I reaslised that there was still VAT and delivery to go on top, bring the order to nearly 28!

So I thought I'd try ECP, selected the same bits, again coming to 14ish, only this time that was with VAT and they do free delivery on all orders!

Definately won't be using GSF again, their website's a pain to use, they are expensive and I've had problems with customer service on a number of occassions.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Check out the extra GSF Paid Members offer we have introduced ;)

One of our members saved 22 the other day, paying for 2 year's of CGTI membership.

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

prices are very close when i used to use my cgti membership, but with ecp i get such a good discount i dont make the trip to gsf any more. you can get all the nice brand names from ECP anyway

4. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

I get all my Bosch stuff from Camberly Autofactors.. Much cheaper and more stuff available..

5. Admin Guest

i find there are more ecp's to use locally.

GSF messed up my order last time and took an age to sort it out.

6. JaySteed606

JaySteed606 Forum Member

For service parts I always use the Halfreuds trade card, other bits I find ECP are generally better value and have a wider selection and the free delivery seals the deal. Although there is a GSF local to me so I often pop in there for quick repair parts.

In summary, I think it all works out in the end.

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

depending what I need either a halfords trade card or I use vw's own TPS as they are very cheap for oil and filters when purchased on the parts club prices (some accept clubgti for parts club membership, or leicester and derby tps also have an chocolatedubs account I set up)

8. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Being down in Cornwall there are no ECP or GSF outlets, so my only option is mail order if I want anything from them. That also presents another problem with GSF, online I've never had a discount for being a Club GTI member even if I make a note of my membership number when ordering, and I've ordered over the phone and they've refused to give me a discount, I was told you could only do it in store and even then it's at the manager's discretion.

9. Supercharged Forum Member

TPS for Oil and service parts generally - cheaper than anywhere else and obviously genuine.

Halfords trade great for Bulbs and Wiper blades - Bosch wipers are half the price of GSF now!

ECP do some good branded stuff, Conti belts, ATE brake parts but very often get the parts wrong.

GSF - utterly useless now, constantly supply the worng parts and quality / fit is awful - most stuff is from China.

10. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

aaahhh didnt realise there wasnt much option for spares down your way.

11. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Yeah it's pretty poor down here. The nearest ECP and GSF are in Plymouth, well over 100 mile round trip!

I'd never heared of TPS (just googled it). Nearest one is 30 miles away, so that's a pretty long trip as well, but worth bearing in mind if I need genuine stuff.

12. Newey Forum Member

as im a HGV driver for ECP i get all the parts at trade price so havent had the need to use gsf in a long time

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive just been on the phone to ECP. ordered almost 300 of bits, i shop with them all the time, i swear theyre getting a bit tight with their discounts.

95 for a LUK vr6 clutch on their site. can get it for 90 from GSF if i walk in off the street, the best ECP could do was 85, which considering i spend a fair bit with them weekly i think isnt on.

gonna have to start looking about tbh

14. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

wouldnt give ECP the stink off my sh*t.

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

they have enough stinky attitude already but they also have a good parts lineup at a reasonable price. just not reasonable enough to keep me happy given how much i put through them.

16. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

ECP is a good place for parts tbh, especially for the MK2.

I always go to the main branch in Wembly, as they always have everything i need. Seem cheaper compared to my local GSF?