Problem with track car o2o transmission

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Alex12345, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Alex12345 Forum Member

Went for some testing at blyton in the mk2 this week, car ran faultlessly for 150+ hard track miles, I brought the car home and stuck it in the workshop where it sat for 24 hours. I then moved it and left it prob another 24 hours, upon inspection there's a pool of gear oil underneath and it looks like it's come out of the speedo drive, the cars not been run since being back. Seemed odd to me as the car showed no signs of leaking whilst at the track, the breather on top of the box seems fine, is it possible there can be any pressure build up in a gearbox ?. Also I added new millers gear oil before I went. 2 full litres. Any help appreciated Wes.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

When the gearbox oil gets really hot it can breath out the speedo hole. Nothing to worry about.

4. Alex12345 Forum Member

Thanks for the info, I've blanked the speedo hole off with a plate, I also found that the breather on the top of the box was stuck and when I lifted it heard a small hiss, so I've just run a tube back up to a catch tank( washer bottle) all seems good now.

Nige likes this.