Problems getting VCDS to communicate with Mk2 ABF

Discussion in 'Vagcom / VCDS' started by twolitrepinto, Sep 6, 2013.

1. twolitrepinto Forum Member

I am a bit stuck, i have just done my ABF conversion and the immob works and it runs and drives well, just one its warm and usually after its had a good thrash, the revs will drop as if its cutting out and then it hunts between almost cutting out and 2000rpm.

ive bought a cheapo USB vag com lead from ebay, and downloaded the latest VCDS-lite, however, i can't get into the engine ECU.

i get the error "can't synch baud rate!"
    i have searched the internet and tried everything like setting the start baud to 9600, 4800, 1200 etc,
    ive tried it on com ports 1, 2 and 4, (3 is in use), the latency was bad but in the test, but i fixed this by setting latency timer in device manager from 16 to 4, now it gets good latency.

it will communicate with the immob and says no faults and see's the key etc, i just can not get this baud rate thing sorted, been at it for hours!!!

any ideas?
    thanks

2. twolitrepinto Forum Member

sorry forgot to mention, the engine and ecu is digi3 from a 96 golf gti 16v

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I have the same thing (cheap cable) and had no probs with VCDS lite, when I used to use the 409.1 vag-com I set the baud to 9600 and had no issues.

Have you tried putting the FTDI chip drivers in your vcds-lite folder?

You have downloaded the vcds-lite for 3rd party/dumb interfaces yeh?

Running fault seems like air leak or throttle housing/ISCV needs cleaning.

Screenshot of my VCDS (ignore colour,I was messing about in MS Paint)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  4. twolitrepinto Forum Member

Its ok, i didnt get this to work in the end, but a mate has a Snap-on Solus which read the engine ECU first time.
    2 faults

IAT sensor open or short circuit,
    Coolant temp sensor implausible reading.

went to test IAT sensor plug to ECU and realised it wasnt the IAT sensor plug at all, in fact i had the old breather heater plugged into it, must have mixed the 2 up.
    also i found the earth to the idle switch was broken, and the coolant temp sensor one was dodgy.

repaired all of that, deleted breather heater wires and everything ok now other that IAT fault.

checked resistance of IAT sensor and it is dead, it must be blown by having the breather heater live plugged into it, oops.

new IAT sensor monday and all should be well!

thanks for your help anyway, im going to send this cable back, has a year warranty apparently!

GVK likes this.