Pros/Cons

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Chris, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Chris Forum Member

I may have sourced some GTI/VR6 dampers and top mounts for my 1.4 mk3. I ideally want to fit these with 40mm lowering springs. I know its better to get a kit but due to funds this isn't possible at the mo. Will the above cause any problems, etc?

2. edc1 Forum Member

The front might sit higher due to a lighter engine than a VR6.

3. mk3anniversary Forum Member

thought that only applied to springs. with VR6 dampers and 1.4 springs i don't see a problem.

4. Chris Forum Member

I wanna lower it cheaply so 1.4 springs are pointless, would need lowering springs. Are the front are rear GTI dampers different length pistons to take into account engine weight?

5. edc1 Forum Member

My point was if you were to use VR6 springs and dampers then you might not get the desired lowering effect. VR6 dampers with lowering springs suited to the weight of a 1.4 engine might 'do' the job but they might not work to well together.

6. Chris Forum Member

Understand ya. You say they will do the job, does that mean, better handling and what problem effects do you think it may have?

7. edc1 Forum Member

I don't know what it will be like to run on VR6 dampers and 1.4 model springs, thoughts are just pure speculative educated guesses. You never know though, there may be somebody out there who runs such a set up and can comment from experience. Find out if the damping rates and spring rates for VR6 and 1.4 are different and then take it from there.

8. AndrewF Forum Addict

this may sound silly...but i'm sure i looked on etka once and all (yes i mean all) mkIII's had the same dampers!!!

9. edc1 Forum Member

Same physical size and same damping properties too? If that's the case that's great but I bet they don't all run the same poundage springs - which then doesn't add up.

10. AndrewF Forum Addict

yeah...springs are different. but dampers are same.

11. damogti Forum Junkie

Would explain the crap handling then, even on the VR6!!! :lol:

Personally, i wouild give it a go as i think as long as you use the correct srings it will be ok.

Shortened dampers only really come in to it if you going lower than -40mm. Anything above this they can deal with no problem.

12. Chris Forum Member

Why are the top mounts different if dampers are all the same? So my current dampers will be fine if I put 30 or 40 springs on and should run no problems. Obv handling not as good as kit. I suppose it will have adv/disad to standard. Might just do that, get some decent springs then get uprated dampers later on.

13. AndrewF Forum Addict

yeah, get some eibachs now, then add koni adjustables later. some people will tell you its a bad idea, but they're wrong, trust me (i only have springs) its miles better than standard.