PS3 has lost Iplayer and the like?

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by Admin, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Admin Guest

turned on the PS3 to catch up on some stuff on the iplayer and its no longer on the PS3 menu[:s] none of the online players from ITV or Channel4 were there either.

2. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

there was an update about a week ago I think. under tv there is a My Channels app. You have to download the Iplayer now. It works as a piece of software instead of in browser.

3. andypaterson Forum Member

I had read about and noticed that TV menu the other day on mine, but every time i've gone back to look at it now the TV menu is not there? Weird.

4. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Go to playstation home, once its loaded up exit and the TV icon should be back on the main menu, then you will have the option to individually download iplayer, 4od ect..

5. andypaterson Forum Member

Bizarre! Dont really use any of it anyway but was thinking of signing up for LoveFilm so i can stream movies, and thats under the TV menu from memory?

6. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

the love film is a good idea. But after the two week free period they automatically start taking money out of your account.
    If you cancel it at wait awhile you can get a gift voucher from them which is nice. I've got a 38 to use up

7. andypaterson Forum Member

Yeah, im talking about signing up for lovefilm and paying for it. Currently with Tescop DVD rental at 8 p/m anyway, but that cant be streamed to the PS3 (even though they are owned by lovefilm i think?!).

8. Admin Guest

will look later, was there the other day as i used it. but after a system update its all gone.

9. Admin Guest

that was painful

10. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

New ps3 iplayer is much better now though. You have the option to watch in HD.

11. Admin Guest

always had if the show was made in HD?

so far its rubbish, what ever we watch has been really laggy, whereas previous viewing at what ever time has never been a problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011
  12. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

No, don't think so. You can select HD or SD now. I always found it grainy on the ps3, not anymore. The wii iplayer used to be better but the ps3 one is now much better.

13. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

I wouldn't bother with Love film if you're planing to stream on PS3.
    I signed up only to find you are limited to older films to be streamed. All the new releases are for delivery by post only, not what I signed up for so I cancelled my subscription.

14. andypaterson Forum Member

Really?! Wow. I thought the 9.99 sub got you unlimited streaming of all films. Can't be arsed with the postage thing anymore as we inevitably never get round to sending them back quickly enough so it's not cost effective.

15. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

I thought I'd get all films for £9.99 too, but was very disappointed with the selection for streaming. I only signed up for the latest films only to find I can't stream them only older films

16. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I looked last night, the streaming selection is mostly older films and newer films that no one has heard of, but are still good.

17. andypaterson Forum Member

Hmm, a rethink is in order. Thanks for the info!

18. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

At the end of the day you can always get the free trial lime I did, if it's not for you then cancel it... But bare in mind you have to phone up to cancel.

19. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

The 9.99 a month gets you unlimited streaming (of the available films, which is actually loads. You`ll always find something good to watch, and loads you might not have considered if you were paying) and one disc per month by post.

Either way, still way cheaper than the likes of Blockbuster...

20. PeeJay Forum Junkie

I've never got the LoveFilm Stream thing to run properly, been a member for years, granted I've only got a 3.2mg connection, but it doesn't seem to be able to vary the quality to make it stream glitch free.

Anyone else having problems with the iPlayer since the change? Mine tries to load, then I get a message saying "sorry there seems to be a problem".