PVW: cynicism and the in-crowd

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by ThePatyPlus, Sep 27, 2006.

1. 8Valverpaul Forum Member

Agree with Spaced i'm afraid Paul!!:p ;)

2. phatG60 Forum Member

Been on here a lot longer than that!and a club gti regional host for 10 years and a member of westside for a lot longer,we build the cars for ourselves first and have done since way before PVW and the GOLF magazine!it just makes me laugh everytime a subject like this comes up and we get our name throw into it.

3. sixpot Forum Member

Everyone 'joined' in 2003 if you look closely there is no older dates than 2003! [:D]

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I'v stoped buying PVW mag ages ago, not because of what kind of cars it features but due to all the photos of elliot and all other staff[:x]

However i to preffer cars which are home built on a budget as, in my opinion, is more fun and you appreciate them far more!

Only mags i buy regularly are Practical Perf Car and retro cars because staff who writes for mags are all car/petrol junkies and they certantly know there beans when it comes to cars

They feature all variety of home built cars and provide all sorts of very usefull information about modifing cars which i find very usefull

I still do read golf+ as i think is still ok:)

5. The db

The db Forum Junkie

So I think most people are in agreement....

We need to start our own magazine and put our own cars in it for each other to read about... Oh wait thats what Rabbit is for isnt it...

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

No I haven't met him, I just don't like the way he writes, he comes across as total cock, and he knows nothing about the VW scene, hence why the mag is full of boy racer style tat.

And seeing as plenty of people have made a prejudged opinion of me from what I write, without meeting me, then I don't see why I can't do the same with other people!

Wonder if theres a reason I haven't met him? is it because I go to the shows and he doesn't.?..now there's a thing...

7. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Nail, head. Some of the youngsters on here don't even know your car mate....

At the end of the day, some people are just jealous because they aren't a "known" face within the scene. so they resent those who are.

The only way you can change that is to take part. Build a decent car, and join in. The characters out there on the scene aren't celebrities or people who think they;re better than you, they are the people who make the scene what it is, and if you take part in it often enough you'll find yourself a part of it too.

So instead of sitting behind your PC moaning about it, do something about it. Either leave us to it, or join us!

PVW aren't just following the cars, they are following the scene, which is why Elliot, Si, an Churchy, and Mick and the rest of the gang come to the shows and join in and have a party. The Golf+ are just sat in the corner looking miserable.

So why are YOU into cars? so you can have a laugh all summer and get alnong with your mates from all over the country? or to mope about looking miserable an complaining about everything. If you just go to shows to look at cars you're missing the point entirely, ther'e far more to it than that, and that's whay PVW is trying to convey in the show features.

8. 8Valverpaul Forum Member

I've seen Fabien at Ultimate Dubs, Leeds Festival and Edition 38!!:) I spoke to him at these shows and he had a good natter and took time out to come say hello to our lot !!;)
    He does'nt actually do that much feature writting as it goes!![:s]
    I do know what you mean about 'some' of the style of writting though!!:lol: :o ;)

9. gillm

gillm ***** User

got to agree i have seen the golf+ boys out and about at shows and bars them all seemed fine to me . anyway that just proves they drink as much as me lol

10. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Yer I met some of the Golf+ boys at Stonor Park, and have had e-mailed conversations with Fabien since.

11. eurocabi Forum Member

:clap: spot on.

12. GTXTRA Paid Member Paid Member

Neither mag is perfect. Far from it. They do both showcase great cars and cool feature pics but are let down by some content issues and grubby advertising. Whatever the merits or otherwise of the magazines or the crowd behind them, I cant help thinking that theres an envy agenda going on here as touched on in previous comments.

However, despite the lack of coverage in both of my main interest, Scirocco- I do enjoy reading about a tasty VW regardless of the model, the age or the amount of self-build or paid for work put into it and for now these magazines still provide that. For now.

Whats more irritating about the scene inmho is the amount of unnecessary *****ing that goes on, especially on the otherwise excellent forums such as this one- which is a pity because its the forums, when used positively, that I believe are increasingly useful at providing quality and timely information on the scene, the shows, the ideas, the technical side and so on compared to monthly magazines.

Sadly there appears to be no shortage of some right online arses ready, willing and able to spread their negativity and bad attitudes at the click of a button. They like only what they like and diss what they dont understand. Wherever it has originated its not healthy and its not clever.

Whatever you drive, whatever you read, shouldnt it be all about relaxed meets, convoys, hooking up with mates, appreciating each others cars, (even if they dont fit one narrow taste or model preference), sharing knowledge, offering advice, swapping spare parts but ultimately having a bloody good time!