Query on engine/engine compartment wiring for Golf 3

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Dougie, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

I'm getting really fed up with the 'lurching' automatic transmission in my '96 (P) 1.8 4 door hatch, to the extent that I plan to fit the '2E' engine and manual gearbox I kept (along with just about everything else) from a '94 GL saloon.

The main snag I see is the engine wiring, or rather the bulkhead porting of the two cars. The saloon had two separate harnesses, the later hatch has them combined.

Was there even a brief overlap between the 2E engine being fitted (which was until 10/94, according to paynes) and the change to a combined harness? I think I'll have to bundle up the required wiring (the hatch also has a/c, to make this more awkward).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

finding any kind of 2e loom these days is pretty difficult, I've done a couple over the last couple years and we really struggled to source donor looms. I've never seen later type with bundled wiring but doesnt mean you cant get hold of it. but its not hard to strip out the engine side from your later car and sssfeed the 2e stuff back in even if it has aircon.

theres only a couple points the ecu side taps to the lighting side, you have the mpg purple/white though unless you're adding mfa clocks can ignore that, theres the ecu earths on later engine which tap to main battery on the early they have their own earth point so no worries there. just have to run the 2e ecu green wire to the later loom connector and jobs a goodun

3. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, Jonny,

The saloon was early enough to have the battery mounted with the +ve at the front, I now recall. I was pretty much resigned to making up a combined harness, tbh. I have a partly stripped 'AGG' loom from a Gti with a/c, so I plan to pull out the Agg stuff from that and replace with the 2e engine section. The 1.8 loom I'd prefer to keep intact (I've another car with that engine it may be handy for, if I'm feeling workish I may add a/c to that)

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds like a plan, can work on it at your leisure then