Quick cylinder head question

Discussion in '8-valve' started by bebendum, Oct 13, 2008.

1. bebendum New Member

This might sound a bit simple, but just wanted to check.

The cylinder head on my mk 2 8v gti has cracked, now i have a mk 1 with a gti 8v in it an was wandering if they can be swapped over as the both have the following code on: 026.103.373AA, although one has a 29 above and the other has a 33.

Cheers for any help

2. fried egg

fried egg Forum Member

The hydrolic tappet heads have a cam cap missing (number 4) and are easily spotted if they look the same then you can swap them over, later k-jet mk2's and cabbys/sciroccos also have a outlet between injectors 3 and 4 for air shrouded injectors so check this aswell. If you get stuck i have a spare head with the air shrouded injector outlet.

Hope this helps

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

even if its solid lifter it will still fit, you'll just have solid lifters! just be aware you cant use a hydro lifter cam in a soilid head. swap all the bits over that are different (dont forget to check the injector inserts) and if it has a vac pipe between 3 & 4 block it off if your odl head doesnt have one.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yup... what he said. It'll fit as long as it's an 1800 Mk1 GTI head. 1600 ones are different.

If your Mk2 is digifant, you'll need to swap over a few bits, like injector seats and water flanges, but nothing major.

5. bebendum New Member

cheers for all your help, i'll crack on an give it a shot