Quick Release Bonnet Fasteners - anybody used these?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Jommanjo, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Jommanjo Forum Member

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...oducts-quick-release-clip-push-button-release

Click on the "see it in action" tab.

Has anybody any experience of these? I have a carbon bonnet to fit, and these would save a fair bit of butchery to the carbon frame of the bonnet, placing where my existing bonnet pins are, inboard of the bonnet swage lines. I have a pair of flush-fitting Aerocatches I could fit, but unless I weld on tabs to the slam panel to enable mounting further back away from the frame (like the Reeves MK2 I believe), I'd have to cut away a fair bit of bonnet frame. I remember an Aerocatch thread, I'll have a search.

It's worth noting the price is per fastener.

:thumbup:

2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Nice and subtle, but I suspect unless you get them aligned perfectly, you`ll struggle to close the bonnet ? I dunno for certain though.

With the Aerocatch ones, you can SEE if the pin is lined up with the hole and push / pull the bonnet if necessary, with those, I wonder if you`d need to / be able to ?

They are pretty expensive too !

I extended my slam panel to allow the fitting of the Aerocatched the RIGHT WAY, in my build thread, in this post. So many people fit them backwards, even though the instructions show you the correct way [:s]

Jommanjo likes this.
  3. jasongtr Forum Member

30 each is a lot but i do like them

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Expensive, but ideal for me as I still have the bonnet catch, and just need to stop the edges lifting. Hmmmm

5. vroomtshh New Member

I ordered some this morning for my bumper. DaveR is also using them in his bumper

Jommanjo likes this.
  6. Jommanjo Forum Member

They would certainly look good and be easier to fit, with a neat, circular hole through the bonnet frame to the outer skin.

I know the Aerocatch is the standard, and I'd prefer to have their known security. The ones I have are the flush ones, mounted upwards, underneath if you see what I mean, but I'd prefer the top-mounted ones like you have Nige. I'd end up reinforcing with extra spreader plates and bracketry, getting all a bit pointless. Could always sell them.

Cheers for posting.

7. Dom.joy Forum Member

I'm sure I read you need more than 2 to hold down a bonnet.

EDIT: Just seen you said you'd keep your bonnet catch

8. Notso Swift Forum Member

Excellent for keeping a road based car sleek

FOr Racing a lot of scruits here have trouble with anything they can physically see being positively engaged (regardless of how antiquated that concept is)

9. Jommanjo Forum Member

I don't have a bonnet catch any more. I'd hope that two catches would suffice, placed inboard of the swage lines. My carbon bonnet's frame is a replica of the metal frame and is stiff, so hopefully there'd be no flex. (LWS item, beautiful [8D])

The downsides to these catches I can see are that they are unlockable (as are my bonnet pins), and I can't find anybody who can vouch for their security performance. I wonder if vibration on a very stiffly sprung car may cause them to pop open?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  10. Jommanjo Forum Member

Sorry, how do you mean?

11. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

He means there's no visible pin through hole to lock bonet down , therefore scrutiniser says he can't see physical lock so ?? Is it locked properly ?

Not an issue for road or track car just racers :thumbup:

Jommanjo likes this.
  12. Jommanjo Forum Member

I see, cheers :thumbup:

13. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

I'm using them on my bumper now and in the front centre of my bonnet to stop the front flipping.

They feel very strong and clip in very tightly, not sure if I would use them to hold the complete bonnet down if it was carbon or fibre glass because the surface area isn't a lot.

The air pressure that can push up on the bonnet if it doesn't have a lot of strengthening on it may well rip the materiel.

I have used the aero catches and to be honest I can't fault them, if they not closed probably then you will notice straight away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nige and Jommanjo like this.
  14. Jommanjo Forum Member

Thank you, useful info.

Mmmm, what to do. May be sensible to just re-install the bonnet catch.

15. FatDub New Member

I like the look of them but can't say I'd like them on my race car. I always have a moment in assembly (after I'm strapped in of course!) when I panic and ask somebody to check my pins. I could potentially see a problem with scrutineers too if used on a bonnet too. Remember the whole idea behind removing the latch is so that the marshalls can gain quick access to your bay if needed in the event of a fire.

Jommanjo likes this.
  16. Jommanjo Forum Member

Yes. Good advice :thumbup:

17. FatDub New Member

Also there's something menacing looking about pins coming through your bonnet :)

18. Jommanjo Forum Member

Purposeful, simple, effective. I can see me just using my pins from my current steel bonnet. Also toying with the idea of large circular white number boards on the bonnet and doors but that's another story..