quick release front bumper

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mk2redvr6, Apr 20, 2015.

1. mk2redvr6 Forum Member

Hi chaps
    Just wondered if anyone has ever fitted one .I have a small bumper mk2 but do a few track days just wondered if you have his you did it and pics if possible

2. shockerboy Forum Member

The only reason I ran a removable bumper was because I couldn't get the car on to the trailer with a full front bumper with integral spoiler . cant think of any other reason to do it /?

3. Alex12345 Forum Member

That's exactly why I did mine, also you can then get your hands down the chassis legs and bolt the front crossmember in properly instead of the often worn out/cross threaded nuts that are there.

4. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I`ve recently modified mine to be quick release, but only so I can remove it independently of the splitter. The stock bolts are a bit of a pain to access and impossible with a splitter fitted.

Unless you were having issues getting it on a trailer, I can`t see the real benefits for the few times you normally need to remove it. [:s]

5. HummuH Forum Member

I have a quick'ish system on mine. Uses standard guides with two 10mm bolts/nuts through the front cross member. Holes in bumper are covered with grommets. Can be done with aero-catches too.

The time it's at it's most useful is after a trip to the kitty litter as if means you can get the gravel out without having to remove undertray.

If you run a track/race car it's worth doing for how easy it is.

6. mec82 Forum Member

Definitely worth it if you're doing loads of mods. One of the best things I ever did on mine, this is how mine is if pic will work... Can just see the bonnet catch pegs, they go through bumper, no crash bar.

[​IMG]

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Mine is dead simle quick release. Seperate the bumper irons from the bumper plastic and disable the 'prongs'
    Weld a couple of M10 nut onto the front face of the irons either side of the no. plate.
    Drill 10mm clear holes in the plasic.
    Knock up some load spreading plastic washers to use with the 10mm allens
    Jon

8. mec82 Forum Member

What Jon said, if like me you can't weld then m8 or m10 rivnuts would be an easy alternative. I find the bonnet pins are good as it's easier to drop things onto a pin/stud rather than using bolt.

9. mk2redvr6 Forum Member

Thanks guys