R.i.p 1.8 Abs

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by Admin, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Admin Guest

Hi, Im new to VWs and even newer to this site, but we all have to start some ware.
    I thought someone my find this a little funny. I have had my first VW for no more than 3 months and I have already had my first Oooops, well not so much of an Oooops but more of a F*****G Car [:x]

Doing about 50 on me way home from work, things ended like this:
    Engine: Clunk Clunk
    Me: That didnt sound good, maybe something in the road?
    5 seconds later
    Little light on dash: Flash Flash
    Very loud buzzer: Buzz buzz
    Me: Oh S**t
    2 seconds later
    Engine Tap Tap Tap
    Me: Oh S**t S**t
    Engine: TAP TAP CRUNCH
    After managing to stop the car
    Me: *$* $@>? %(!~!%($?@{($%^@@&$/*-^!? cry [:^(]

R.I.P 1.8 ABS Engine!

I took the sump off he next day for a bit of an investigation, turns out the oil pick up pipe had fallen off and was rattling round in the sump, that would explain a few things!

Luckily I hadnt got round to selling my old car so could still get to work, that was at least until last week when some prat decided he was going to put the engine of his brand new BMW 5 Series where my boot should be, KNOB! [:x] [:x] [:x]

Ok it was only a 1.9 D Turbo Pug 306, and I will get more of the insurance than I was probably gona sell it for, but my neck DID NOT thank him the next day.

So now I am rebuilding a 1.8 KR engine to go in my golf, if anyone has any mk2 KR bits on the go cheep let me know, as there is a lot I need to fit the engine into my mk3.

Hay, at least I can now say to the misses I really do NEED that bigger better engine, and it would just be silly NOT to put those high lift cams in, and while the engine is in bits I might as well port the head, etc etc.

If anyone has any tips or advise for the newbie here, bring it on. :thumbup:

Jon

2. Edds_mk2_16v Forum Member

dude unlucky! [:s]

But i will say why a KR lump in a mk3? surley the easy way of doing it would be to put a ABF 2.0 16v in there as there is a lot of work to fit a KR lump [:?:]

Infact surley if you want 16v's then strip and sell what you can from the mk3 and go out and buy a mk3 GTi 16v???

Thats what i would do anyway! [:D]

3. Admin Guest

I was thinking about that, but I cant insure anything bigger than a 1.8, at a reasonable amount anyway. And where is the fun in just buying one, so it would be cheaper, quicker and easier, but I live to play with cars. I would be happy with just dropping the engine in and selling the car, so long as I got to drive it once. Would love to own a performance garage of some sort. Anyone got any jobs goin? ;)

This will be my third project car, and I have only been driving 4 years. Talking of, not really the place but does anyone want to buy a rather nice Nova body shell, hardly a drop of rust in it, full body kit fitted and blended, smoothed, de-locked, stupid amount of work done?

4. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Go on confused.com and get some quotes for a mk3 valver..

5. Admin Guest

Tried that, couldn’t get any quotes for an even slightly modified car, or anything bigger than a 1.8. Went to Adrian Flux and quoted me a grand for what I got planed for me mk3, not to bad I’m only 22 with 1 year no claims.
    My insurance company are gits and won’t insure modified cars of any description, and say they will only allow me to take the no claims earned after the age of 21 on to another insurance company. If I could stay with them would have 5 years! SUCKS! [:x]

6. Pete Taylor Forum Member

bar stewards..

I only passed my test 12 months ago and i've just turned 25, bought the mk3 valver as my first car, last years insurance 3rd PF&T was 1100. Renewal quote for this year with my newly claimed one years no claims is 650!

7. Admin Guest

That is because you are 25! The day you turn 25 your insurance drops a mile, well at least when it renews! Don’t ask me why, it just does. Something else, when getting quotes, my insurance was higher if I told them I was married, how strange is that? That and my insurance company are a bunch of T***S

8. Matt G Forum Member

Try brentacre for car insurance - no one could match the renewal quote for me, and they were ok with matching cheaper quotes in previous years - cant fault them.