R32/audi 3.2 oil cooler

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Grassy, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Grassy New Member

Hi, I'm currently doing an engine conversion on a mk2 golf, I'm putting an audi 3.2 bdb engine in and I've hit a problem with the front engine mount and the oil cooler. The engine mount bracket hits the oil cooler cap and won't go in position. I know this needed changed to the 12v vr6 cap but when I went to fit it before the caps shaft with the thread on was to short to reach the end of the cooler unit to screw into the filter housing.
    Does anyone know if audi fitted a larger cooler or if it has been upgraded by a previous owner.
    Any help is much appreciated!
    Thanks

2. benthejettaman Forum Member

any pics? i know there was a different oil cooler available but this was a complety different shape

3. Grassy New Member

4. Grassy New Member

5. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Your Heat exchangers the right one mate ....Not sure I would want to put a smaller spec heat exchanger on it ..... Get yourself a Mocal Oil Cooler Sandwich Plate and fit an oil cooler
    Would keep it right a sort your problem :thumbup:

Wee link even

[​IMG]

http://www.tdnparts.com/oil-cooler-kit/

Painting your mk2 Red also helps ;)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  6. benthejettaman Forum Member

yeah you have the larger oil cooler on it some r32's and the 2.8 24v have the mk2 style oil cooler on them, this style will allow you to fit the 12v cooler cap or you can do as eddie suggest and fit an oil cooler kit

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

My engines a BUB from a Golf and I modded the front mount so I could keep the big cooler:

[​IMG]

fasteddie likes this.
  8. Grassy New Member

Well I got the mount on, made myself the little spacer and bolted the bracket on but I left the oil cooler off for the mean time. I'm going to get the mocal unit on as I like the look of the set up, I wanted one on the vr6 with the oil lines through the front end and the cooler hanging outside.
    Getting better at putting engines in, didn't take long this time working on my own with only a piece of wood to get it in.
    [​IMG]
    Going to change the fuel rail tomorrow and fit the accessory bracket and it's parts. Need to extend some wiring as it's loom was originally to suit LHD car not my RHD.
    Thanks everyone, helped me loads!

1990 likes this.
  9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Can you tell me anything about your connections to the oil cooler? Do you have high and low pressure sensors?