R32 Wiring Mk2 Golf

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by N1CKY, Jul 14, 2012.

1. N1CKY New Member

Hello, Iv recently purchased a Mk2 Golf R32 project from a friend. Got it all bolted in and sitting nice etc. I just have a couple of questions, The main one is Flyby ? I want to convert it to throttle cable on standard ecu if possible ? Is it possible? And is there much info about wiring up the Mk5 engine using the mk5 loom&ecu? from what iv read the mk4 is easier ? But i allready have mk5 stuff so i would really like to use that.

Thanks.

Nicky

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Hi there

Why would you want to use a throttle cable? I would say its much better to wire in the R32 pedal and it's not that hard, only a few wires. The worse part is welding the pedal to the pedal box but it's not that bad.
    By standard ECU I hope you mean the R32 one and not a VR6.

3. N1CKY New Member

Because I wanted to try and avoid it, but if that's as easy ill just go down that route. Is there any documents showing how to stip down the loom and modify it to fit ? And yes, I do mean the R32 ECU.

Thanks again,

Nicky

4. benthejettaman Forum Member

there isnt any documentation on the mk5 stuff, if it was a mk4 then it is pretty similar to doing a 1.8t what are dbw as these share the same ecu

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Theres a place called SWICT that can do the mk5 stuff. I think I heard of one called VAG Doctor as well.

6. N1CKY New Member

Any more info on these mate ?

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looking at the wiring diagrams the mk5 ecu looms are basically the same as mk4 pinout wise, car end may differ but it wont be any more work to splice than a mk4 i don't think. from what i can see main difference is now both looms join to the main loom via 14pin plugs, rather than just 1 half as per mk4. this will actually make it easier to make a mk2/3 conversion loom in theory :thumbup:

the main issue with mk5 conversion is the ecu from what i read gets all upset if it cant talk to the other controllers in the car, abs, etc. I believe you can get this stuff coded out but how or whom by I'm not sure, you might only be able to get this done as a full package by the tuning companies right now.

if it was me i would try to convert the mk5 engine to run off the mk4 management as much more info out there:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?242115

8. N1CKY New Member

That's what iv picked up on also, But trying to find a mk4 Loom&ECU at a reasonable price wont be fun.

9. rubjonny

if you have the mk5 loom i think, you might possibly be able to use it with a mk4 ecu. not 100% but from my quick glances thru the diagrams it does look like it will be possible

10. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

aye the early mk5 r32's use a me7.1.1 ecu as dose the mk4 r32
    not sure if they change after 2007 or not

so what you saying may work
    there is a few differences between the mk4 and mk5 looms but not that much

11. 1990

Is there a way to tell and early mk5 engine from a later one? Mines a 2007 but i'm not sure its its early or late, i'm hoping its early and I wont get the cam sprocket fault.

12. MUSHY 16V

aye by the chassis number not much help to me and you
    dont think they will be that different
    never are the same as the mk4

have you got it started yet

there is a boy on the r32oc that had a mk5 engine in a mk4 r32 he had problems with this but he had the plugs to the cam senders the wrong way round
    it had the fault at high rpm

think i will pm him to see how he got on after that

13. MUSHY 16V

14. 1990

Blimey!! That guy has some terrible luck!!

I haven't started it yet, its school holiday so I ended up at a ruined castle instead.

15. rubjonny

there are 2 BUB diagrams, from august 05 to may 06, and from may 06 onwards, lookign thru em the ecu wiring is basically the same just some tweaks to the brake and clutch position senders. i think the major difference mk4/5 looking at this wiring wise is that clutch position sender, though you may not need it have a feeling its dsg thingy only

16. N1CKY New Member

On closer inspection it appears to be a mk4 loom but the ECU hasnt turned up yet. Any definitive way to check ? Also im sure iv read that theres a guide somewhere for a MK4 loom and the modifications needed? any info will be appreciated.

Also any idea what this plug goes to ?

[​IMG]

cheers

17. rubjonny

i think those go inside the ecu plug if they're what i think they are. the later ecu plugs are dead handy slide a lock tab out and you can remove these little square blocks with all the pins in, makes it so much easier to squeeze thru bulkhead grommets.

look for part number stickers on the looms, or post pics up on here

18. MUSHY 16V

The easy way to tell if its a mk4 loom is to look for for the plug with the purple/black wire
    That takes power for the ignition from the bay loom to the engine loom
    The mk5 loom don't have that and it also don't have the speed sender wires that go to the gear box on the engine loom

19. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Looks like it to me, I did exactly that to get them through the hole.
    There should be some single cables too. If i remember 5 singles that are mostly earths.

20. N1CKY New Member

I'll have a look for that plug when i get back in the garage. But im sure i heard some people talking about a guide to modifying the MK4 loom because it was similar to the 20vt. Info on this would go down a treat, Because im basically doing this blind at the moment.

Ps. Will get some pics up of the car later, Doesn't look to special at the moment though. Sitting on 4 spacesavers [:$]

Nicky