Radar detectors

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by Aquablue, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Aquablue Forum Member

I'd love to get a Road Angel, but don't have that kind of money, so am possibly thinking of a Snooper S3Neo or a Silver Bullet RX7500. I know they won't be as good as the road angel, but are they worth getting and are they any good?

Cheers for your help!

2. alextgreen Forum Member

The Inforad GPS detector costs 80 quid and seems relatively well recieved.

Alternatively, what phone do you have? Copy of TomTom and a GPS reciever works well.

3. Aquablue Forum Member

Got a Nokia 6630

4. jsync Forum Member

5. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

The detectors aren't that great in my experience, I think the GPS ones are adequate on their own. There's a basic one out there for about 80 new, but I can't remember it's name.

6. Aquablue Forum Member

Do they detect mobile & hand-held one's though?

7. GolfJocky Forum Member

The GPS system at 80 is purely 3 coloured LED's wit no displace. It will pick up all the armoury the Police have (SPECS, Gatso, Mobile and fixed units). I think they also have a free or reduced location upgrade cost, where as the RA and Snooper charge about 45 for a years uploading. Really depends what you want. You can get cheap PDA's with GPS software and camera locations.

8. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

I know some of the GPS ones do tell you about 'risk zones,' where often there are mobile traps located, but I think you'd need a detector to tell you about individual sites with any certainty.

The GPS bit of the snooper has helped me out loads, the detector bit (radar and laser) generally warns me about automatic doors on supermarkets and the radars used by traffic lights, and little else.

9. Pecker Forum Member

I have a Cobra Trapshooter RDL-214SW sitting idle in my garage if you're interested.

No idea if it's what you're looking for.

Gaz

10. Welshhippy Forum Member

I have a 6630 with TomTom5 and I'm well impressed with it. Obviously it does not detect lasers but it does warn you of the mobile speed trap locations (do they have to publish these sites by law?) plus all gatsos, red-lights etc. In my neck of the woods (wrexham/chester) it hasn't missed anything.

If you decide to go this way you just need a copy of tomtom, see emule/torrents etc for an "evaluation" copy, a gps reciever for 50 notes off ebay and a 128mb or bigger mmc card. Then download the camera file from the site below

It really is ace satnav software, poi's are ace (pubs, cash machines etc) and the camera locations are icing on the cake.

See this great site for more info - LINKY

:)
    Edited by: Welshhippy

11. pingu New Member

im using a snooper 4. it has saved me a lot of times, i paid 200 for it on ebay somewhere and you pay 5 a month to get the updates. i do reccormend it.