Radical SR8

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RobT, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Hi Christoph, I have experimented quite a lot with engine preheaters and came to the conclusion that its only really worth heating the oil. The reason for this is that the water heats quickly with the engine running and will actually boil before the oil reaches any kind of temperature. So I preheat the oil with 5 Wolverine heater pads stuck around the oil tank, equating to about 900W of heating. This will raise the oil to about 50C in an hour, start engine, and oil and water end up correct temps about 10 mins later. To make sure the water doesnt boil, I have also fitted a Davies Craig control unit which switches two rad fans and the electric water pump. This is a very effective setup and the water temp is now locked to 90C. If you want to use the water heater, which i only really use to purge air from system if i have dropped the water out, then it is plummed into the swirl pot and the line between engine and laminova cooler.
    Cheers
    Rob

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. cdunkel New Member

Thanks a lot, very important information for me. Thought a lot about how to heat it up best.
    Right now I have one Wolverine 250W pad on the bottom of the oil pan. Takes ages to heat up a bit and nowhere near 50C. Like this I still need to run it warm for about 20minutes which I think is way too long consider the 40hours motor interval time. Interestingly I do not have any issues with boiling water (other than on my previouse SR3). Might be due to the oil/ water water unit where both liquids flow through the same unit to equal temperatures (that was installed on mine).

Guess will get me two additional 250W heaters next, unless there will fit 4 of them. Makes sense?

Cheers, Chris

3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Hi, there are 2x 250W square pads, one on the bottom and one on the top left. Then there are 2x 125W circular, (3" diameter) one on each side of tank, and 1x 125W long and thin (approx 1" x 5") across the back of the tank under the powertec logo. All wired into a juction box with one lead to rear of car to plug into 240V.

That lot will heat oil to 65C with overnight heat. Very nice conduction of heat into gearbox oil also.

i am surprised your water doesnt overheat, maybe you already have radiator fans? My car also has the laminova heat exchanger.

Cheers, Rob.

4. Pepi New Member

Hi Rob

I have a question concerning the 40 hours motor interval time:
    What is the meaning of 40 hours motor interval time?
    Is it engine on load time = 40 hours (without warm up time!) or does it mean 40 hours including warm up time?
    In the log book engine on load time is separately listed.

Kind regards,
    Peter

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Hi Peter, I think it depends a little on what the car is being used for. The intension is that its 40 hrs of racing,. But if you do hillclimbs, so much time is only warm up, maybe 40 hrs on time might only be 5 hrs on load time. I think it depends on each circumstance and Radicals opinion.

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Breaking news.....first time ever that a busa-based atmospheric v8 breaks 500hp :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a 3.2L version of the engine that has larger bore and stroke compared to my 2.7. Note barrel spacers and spacers for water fitting in center of V. Arrow rods too.

What a motor! Thats a lot of power from a engine weighing only 88 kg. :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    vw_singh and Nige like this.
  7. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

So when are you getting one?

8. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

So when you going to compete in this thing properly rather than just polishing it?

9. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

competed all last year, 3rd overall liverpool champs. ftd in wet at british sprint round at anglesey. its all in this tread. can you read Mike?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  10. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

That will blow the dust off it, thought circuit racing was on the cards ?

11. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

just dont have the time, budget, and a support team. maybe when my lads grow up a bit more. sprinting and trackdays do the job for now. had a right laugh on the RMA trackday actually, playing with some very quick tackle in relative safety. can see me doing more of that actually to sample some more tracks.

pascal77uk likes this.
  12. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Presumably the barrel spacer is to allow for an increase in stoke for the extra displacement???

500bhp from 88kg :o That's awesome!

13. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Yep. Can get different thickness spacers to allow different stroke/conrod length/piston crown height/CR.

14. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Circuit racing is a lot of commitment all round, remember the days when I helped run 6 cars in the Cup. Phenomenal amount of effort and money. The championships the Radical would be in should ok, reasonably high standards of racing and care of the cars I guess. Maybe tighter up at the sharp end.

You have ready made pit crew there already lol, get em on the spanners early.

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

When the time is right, my lads can drive and I will spanner. TBH, I get as much fun from spannering as driving. We will have an almighty setup system.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  16. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Buying tyres in quantity would make me cry....
    Jon

RobT likes this.
  17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

just back from absolutely immense race weekend at Anglesey. records and pbs totally smashed. more v.soon.

1.8T_mk2, Nige, Sirguydo and 2 others like this.
  18. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and results

http://www.longton-dmc.co.uk/index.php/events/anglesey-1st-2nd-april

So first race of the year was at Anglesey with Longton and District Motor Club. Two day event with the unusual 1-lap configuration on Sat, followed by the favourite International GP circuit on Sunday. Weather forecast was variable in the week before but as the weekend got closer, it looked very good indeed.

Unfortunately I was the only entrant in 4B, but there is always your own personal best (PB) time to go at in sprinting. Apart from Sat which was a new layout [:s].

Very hard to judge who will do what at the first race of the year as many had been modifying their cars over the winter for forever more speed.

I had shortened my gear ratios over the winter so did some calculations on corner speeds from previous visits to the track, and made mental adjustments for the game plan.

Two practices and five timed runs were the order of the day which was great fun. Started off at 60.63 and whittled that down to 52.59 best on T3. That was good enough for P3 overall behind the double driven 2.2 Supercharged Honda Westfield of long time sprinters Hodder and Bunn (aka Dick Spanner Racing [:D]). This is a car I have admired for years ever since it was in CCC. Very well developed, very lightweight, with an experienced team behind it.

[​IMG]

So on to Day 2, big GP circuit. Previous best in dry was 88.21 so that was the time to aim at. Westie usually did 86 or 87 so they would be good to chase again.

Two practices and five timed runs, starting at 90.87 and whittling down to 85.31 - really pleased as that was almost 3 seconds better than my PB and a massive improvement. New 4B Class Record. Also my best ever 64ft time on last run of 2.19 secs.

Westie was flying again and Garry Bunn put in a stonker right after lunch with a 85.09, smashing the 3H record and as I understand it beating a very long standing time from the SBD 'works' Westfield. So these were very good times. That was to end up P1, with Derek Hodder behind me in P3 with a 86.00.

Two excellent days racing - really enjoyed it.

After analysing the video, there is still more time to be had so will be aiming for a 84 or 83 next time there.

Ave it

Rob

1.8T_mk2, HPR, Jon Olds and 4 others like this.
  19. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

That last pic above of your car, that there is the money shot.

RobT likes this.
  20. Yoof Forum Member

Poster on the wall stuff!

Rob - How much brain re calibration does it take going to an event in a road car, driving the Radical, then going back to road car?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.