Radio turning on and off by itself

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Cipher, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Cipher Forum Member

Hello,

I have a Mk6 Golf '59 plate, 1.6tdi DSG. The radio has started turning on and off by itself and it does it quite quickly when it does. It will do it randomly (even when stationary) and may not do it for a while afterwards. When it is switching on and off there is a sound coming from beneath the steering wheel column that sounds like a relay switching. I've had a scout for the wiring diagrams online and cannot see a relay in the wiring. I am wondering if something is shorting out to another electrical system which is causing a relay to switch. When the relay can be heard switching, no other features of the car seem to have any issues.

The car is fitted with parking sensors and when they activate they show nearby objects on the radios screen, the radio will not switch on and off when the sensors are activated.

Coincidentally when this issue started, the air conditioning stopped working. The AC issue has been investigated and it looks like the compressor has stopped working. But the compressor clutch is working.

Does anybody have any ideas what should be investigated with the stereo issue?

Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i bet its the key in ignition feed going faulty (pin S), the relay noise you can hear is probably inside the onboard supply unit

3. Cipher Forum Member

Thanks for the reply! Would this be the wiring on the steering wheel column? Also, why would this cause only the radio to turn off?

4. rubjonny

yeah either the wiring between switch and module or the switch itself. the key in feed isnt really used by anythign except the radio on most VW which is why I'm suspecting its that.

if you got access to vagcom scan various modules and check thru the mesuring blocks to see if you can find one for 'key in' signal, I know on the MK4 Golf convenience module there is a block for this one. there may be one on the onboard supply moduel for this, or possibly the radio? not really sure what is available on the mk5!

5. Cipher Forum Member

Wicked I'll do that then! Scanned the car the other day for AC faults and no faults found. So I'll scan the modules. Hopefully it will be just a quick bit of wiring to fix it!

In in relation to the AC, do you have any thoughts on that?

6. Cipher Forum Member

To expand on the issue... AC has stopped working recently. It has always been on, never turned off in winter or anything. No faults on vagcom. High pressure switch has been changed as it was operating at a low voltage, operating at normal voltage now. Compressor clutch is working but unsure if compressor is. Fans all working etc.

7. rubjonny

Its possible the 2 problems are linked, next step is check thru the a/c measuring blocks see if anythign looks out of place there. though i cant imagien if it is the S pin contact affecting the radio it'll also affect the a/c? it could be that the control module itself is faulty and one of the internal switching relays has packed in which powers both the radio and part of the a/c system.

although if the a/c clutch is heard to click then the system should then be getting cold regardless of anythign else? unless the power probel above is affecting the control motors in your climate control unit, maybe try adjusting the temperature with the engien off and listen for the control motor on the temp flap moving, if you dont hear it then theres your problem!

8. caprov New Member

Hallo Cipher,
    did you manage to solve your problem with the radio? I have the same problem.
    Thank you
    Davide