Radio Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by MK2MonzaBlue, Apr 26, 2024.

1. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Hopefully a more straightforward question than my last thread....

Somehow I appear to be missing any wiring for a radio in my Mk2. I suspect I may have removed it unintentionally when I first took the wiring loom out of the car 2 years ago.

So my question is simply, what wires am I going to need to add and where will I connect them to the fusebox? I have wiring for speakers run already but nothing beyond that.

Help is much appreciated.

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

3. PhilRyder

If you are CE2.
    Fuse 22 is for cigarette lighter and radio. Therefore it would seem plug D location 12 is the pin. However, you will need battery live and ignition live for the radio I should think. Is D12 ignition live, that is the question, probably.

4. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

CE1 fusebox actually. I get the live, ignition live and earth, but I'm mostly asking about any other wires I might need, for backlights or other things I'm not aware of.
    I'll be fitting a modern head unit not an original one

5. PhilRyder

Best thing to do is choose your head unit (if you haven’t already) and download the instructions and then you’ll know exactly what connections tou need. My stereo is a double din touchscreen thingy and it still only needs two lives and an earth.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the speaker wiring is seperate from main wiring, if thats all gone might be easier to strip it all out of a donor in scrappy. well I say easy...

for the power plug this is all tapped into the middle harness on the CE1 unplug the big black connector and pull it out for an easier life. the live is tapped into the ciggy lighter, the earth goes to a spade plug near the ciggy lighter then off to a stud on the A pillar or sometimes just direct. there is an illumination grey/blue as well but modern radio dont use it.

There wont be an ignition live as standard, you can tap that to the glovebox light look for a 2 pin plug with black/red wire near the big black plug its there even on poverty spec without the glovebox light

7. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Cheers for that. Might be worth mentioning that I have the dash out at the moment so won't really be difficult to just run new wiring to the fusebox.

For live and ignition live can I just use the G and P spades on the back of the fusebox?

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sure can, though P are unfused so ideally you want to tap to radio like original or add an inline fuse of your own :)