Rage!!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by jimgolf, Mar 26, 2008.

1. jimgolf Forum Member

rage against the machine...
    come on who's a lover who's a hater?
    and whats your fave track
    mines killing in the name of!

2. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

sleep now in the fire ;)

3. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

tom morello :thumbd:

4. Cabby Dave Forum Member

[:s]

One of our generations best guitarists tbh.

1st album will be regarded as a classic long after most modern rubbish. Genre crossing, yes, innovative, yes, rocking, hell yes.

5. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

:o what you mean?? the mans a legend.

6. jono395 Forum Member

rage against the machine.... cant say im a big fan....

the guy cant sing... and the beats just get on my tits:lol:

7. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

Renegades of Funk!!!! Amazing! Tom Morello is a very inspirational guitarist for a new generation of musicians that are coming through!

Audioslave do need to get a mention here too.... Chris Cornell has one fo the most amazing voices ever!

Dan [:o)]

8. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

because he runs spanners and guitar leads down his strings to make noise?! [:s]

9. jimgolf Forum Member

yeah thats true audioslave are awesome too!

10. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

Renegades was originally by Afrika Bambaataa and soulsonic Force.

audioslave are OK. terrible name though.

11. Cabby Dave Forum Member

Audioslave were awful. Fact. Overblown generic and embarrassing. If they werent a supergroup, they would have not have got anywhere.

12. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

You learn summat new everyday! :clap:

13. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

My favourite Rage song, rightly or wrongly is Wake Up. Or as those that should know better and don't know Rage will know it as "the Matrix Theme".

You can't talk about rage without mentioning there main reason of being, and that is to get a pollitical message out to the masses about questioning the alterior motives of those in power and/or there followers.

(about Martyn Luther King and Malcom X in Wake Up) "he tried to give power to the have nots. And then Came the Shot. What was the price on his head" etc etc.

Where in main stream music these days do you hear bands taking historical events and presenting them to a new generation to ask questions that hopefully provide better answers. You don't. You get sodding Girls Aloud singing that they Can't Speak French.

Also, while the picture of the Burning Monk was, at the time of its taking in 1963, was a world wide symbol of protest, would it still be regarded as relevent and as easily identifiable to a whole new generations 30 to 40 years afterwards, had it not been a Rage against the Machine Album Cover?

They just happened to do put across there views and ideas with some simply stunning bass lines and a delivery of the lyrics that hadn't be used with Heavy metal/Funk/Hiphop music in any real depth untill that time. Now it is copied by many, but bettered by none.

Zach de la Rocha is also responsible for my favourite remix of a song ever. And thats of the Outcast Song Bombs over Bahgdad, which can be heard playing over serveral video's on youtube of the US forces actually bombing the b'jesus out of Bahgdad

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  14. jimgolf Forum Member

totally agree with you bud i heard them to begin with and didnt think anything of the lyrics. but then when i actually sat there n listened to it i was like wow... and the rage began [:D]

15. Olly_P Forum Member

lol, i agree :lol:

16. Cabby Dave Forum Member

[:s] Are you talking about about the same band?

17. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

'sing' ? i dont really think thats de la rochas intention. kinda misses the point if you focus on his singing. perhaps chart music is more up your street.

the point about not finding music like this in the main stream is kind of irrelevant as rage were never main stream and any band that is, ISNT WORTH LISTENING TO.

18. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I'm affriad you are very very wrong.

Rage against the Machine ARE mainstream, but the message that they put out is certianly very different from bands usually sing about.

They were signed to Epic reconds, a part of Sony Entertainment, and their debut album went triple Platinum.

There second Album went straight to number one in the bill board charts in 96.

They openned for U2 during there PopMart Tour in 97.

And The Battle of Los Angeles sold 450,000 copies in the first week, and went on to going Double Platinum whilst one of there songs were used in one of the biggest films of 90's in the Matrix.

You can't get much more mainstream than that. And the fact that they were mainstream is a good thing.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  19. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

Im sorry mate but i totally disagree with that load of tripe! Just because you sell records it doesnt mean that your "mainstream"! Example ACDC's Back in Black album is the biggest selling rock album of all time and ACDC are by no stretches of the imagination "mainstream"!

20. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

What would you class as being mainstream, if my examples above aren't?

The piont of Rage was to get their political piont of view, ideals and theology across to the masses.

They wanted to be in teh mainstream as it was the most effective way of doing it. As Zach De la Rocha said himself,

Rage were/are mainstream. They wanted to be. It helps them to promote there cuase. Grnted their message isn't the tradition mainstream message but this is why they are original. They want to use the beast of mainstream against itself.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008