Random 16v starting problem :-(

Discussion in '16-valve' started by chrismc, Jun 17, 2005.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

Twice in 2 days now, my car has refused to fire up...Spins freely on the starter for a couple of tries without firing, then goes into flat battery mode.

1st time it was warm, I left it for 10mins it fired straight away, but this morning (cold) I needed a (embarassing) push start [:$]

Im going to check the battery later, but ive also noticed that now my MFA has locked up & the clock display is garbled (from trying to fire the car on a dead battery)

Is it a simple case of disconnecting the battery to reset it or do I have to pull the connector off the back of the clocks? [:s]

Any assistance gratefully received, cheers ;)

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

yep,leave it disconnected for a minute and it may take a couple of goes.

not sure on the bad starting,maybe its just the battery? [:s]

neil. :)
    Edited by: riley

3. chrismc Forum Junkie

Cheers Neil...

Im a bit mystified too. The trouble started after I changed my Lambda probe yesterday (only gives signal for A/F ratio gauge)..no influence on the DTA itself.

I did have my extension lead resting on the metal battery cover though (so I could run my soldering iron) ...might have knocked something perhaps!? [8(]

Bl00dy modified cars! [:$]

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

aye more trouble than theyre worth [:x] :lol:

maybe try cleaning up the connections to the battery and the earth leads to rocker cover/gearbox while your replacing/recharging it.

could you have knocked the wiring to your dta lambda if its near the gauge lambda?

neil. :)

edit:dts!?

Edited by: riley

5. nickvw Forum Member

If you need to borrow a battery charger mate, I'll leave my garage unlocked over the weekend. Even better, whip the battery off the Mk1 and try that ;)

6. sife1 Forum Member

check your getting an HT spark from the coil.

My car became a whore to start when the coil was on it's way out - it would just turn over and overbut not catch.

could also simply be that the battery is so weak it can't power the coil...

[:s]

7. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

May sound a bit random, but check your cranking timing hasn't changed. With the ECU sensing crank position from the trigger wheel it takes it at least a whole revolution before the ECU can work out where it is and start the sparks firing, which could explain why it cranks freely for a second first. If the spark is too far advanced when it does eventually fire it'll kick back against the starter.

8. rradogolfman Forum Member

ill have a whisper in the inlet trumpets for ya macca,
    she will be ok then,
    gotta be an alt charging/battery problem,,, ;)