Random Gearbox Noise?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by fthaimike, May 16, 2004.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

But noticed latelly a noise just like pinking so i have been trying to remove it with advance/retard on the dizzy only to find out last night that its coming from my gearbox, if i put it in gear then move slightlly & put it back in neutral & run around to the engine bay you can here a small tinny noise like something getting thrown around the gearbox then it settles down & dissapears on tickover.

It can happen when driving at intermitent moments like just after changing gear or maybe going down hill or pretty much any time but only lasts a few seconds yet all the gears work fine without any crunching or whinning?

I had a small oil leak from my gearbox where the speedo cable goes in but only dripped a few drops onto the floor so i dont think its low oil.

Any idea's peeps?

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

id check the oil level

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

Just been told to chuck it on axle stands & run it gently through the gears so may do that after iv'e checked the levels ta.

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

Anyone know if the gearbox has any internal parts that are moving when the car is ticking over & in neutral?

5. Andy947 Forum Addict

Eh - pretty much everything inside the gearbox rotates when its in neutral - jus that none of the gears are actually under load.

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

:lol: That's ok then as i also thought this was the case but was told otherwise [:s]

Now that makes me think that somethings being thrown around in the gearbox? weird thing is how come it hasnt fowled the gears up as they all work perfectlly?

Edited by: fthaimike

7. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

I just changed the oil in my gearbox and the improvement was very noticeable.VW stuff 12 a litre [8(].
    Possibly clutch noise also?

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

It's a new recon box thats only done 8000 miles?

EDIT: and the Black Diamond clutch isn't much older.
    Edited by: fthaimike

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

UPDATE:

Went to TSR yesterday (friday) to get gearbox checked & when the starter motor was removed it had bit of metal around the seal [xx(] , not looking good so far.

When the box was removed out dropped some springs from the bell housing [:s] so yep you guessed it....my "not very old" Black Diamond Clutch had decided to explode at the springs & throw them around the bell housing.

So thats 1 Sache power clutch that lasted my first engine but was slipping towards the end then i upgraded to a Black Diamond after the engine rebuild only to destroy it within a few thousand miles of fitting the longer ratio 4+E box with the Quaife ATB.

Have now fitted a Helix Motorsport Clutch to handle the power & my driving ways of the ickle 8v monster :lol: